Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 2 : Environment
Global Cooling Innovation Summit 2018
Two-day Global Cooling Innovation Summit will be held in New Delhi.
- The Summit is a first-of-its-kind solutions-focused event that will bring together leaders from around the world to explore concrete means and pathways to address the climate threat that comes from the growing demand from room air conditioners.
- The event is jointly organized by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, along with Rocky Mountain Institute, Alliance for An Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE), Conservation X Labs and CEPT University.
- Launching of Global Cooling Prize— Mission Innovation challenge that aims to spur development of a residential cooling solution that has at least five times (5x) less climate impact than today’s standard.
- The Global Cooling Prize and Innovation Summit will see distinguished speakers from around the world- including innovators, philanthropists, venture capitalists, and other industry leaders – converge to participate in discussions over a two day period.
Read more at: PIB
Groundwater depletion in India
Many parts of the country are experiencing rapid depletion of groundwater.
- The total estimated groundwater depletion in India is in the range of 122–199 billion metre cube.
- The Indo-Gangetic Plain, northwestern, central and western parts of India account for most intensive groundwater-based irrigation
- Natural recharge during monsoon may not help much if groundwater depletion becomes acute, as rainfall of past several years controls the current groundwater storage levels.
- The groundwater recharge has declined between 1996 and 2016 in northwest and north central India due a reduction in low-intensity rainfall.
- Irrigation based on information provided by the tensiometers helped farmers in the five districts save 10–36% groundwater.
- Cultivating less water-intensive crops
- Use better irrigation technologies and
- Irrigate crops only when necessary
A tensiometer measures soil moisture. It is an instrument designed to measure the tension or suction that plants’ roots must exert to extract water from the soil.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
World’s first AI news anchor debuts in China
The world’s first artificial intelligence (AI) news anchor made “his” debut at the ongoing fifth World Internet Conference in east China’s Zhejiang province.
- The AI news anchor has a male image with a voice, facial expressions and actions of a real person.
- He learns from live broadcasting videos by himself and can read texts as naturally as a professional news anchor.
- The AI news anchor was jointly developed by Xinhua and the Chinese search engine company, Sogou.com.
- The AI anchor has become a member of reporting team and can work 24 hours a day on its official website and various social media platforms, reducing news production costs and improving efficiency.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY)
- It is to provide financial and operational turnaround of power distribution companies andaims at long term affordable and accessible 24×7 power supply to all.
- It has target of making all DISCOMs profitable by 2018-19 through four initiatives such as Improving operational efficiencies of Discoms, Reduction of cost of power, Reduction in interest cost of Discoms, Enforcing financial discipline on DISCOMs through alignment with state finances.
- Under this programme, States shall take over 75% of DISCOM debt over two years i.e 50% of DISCOM debt shall be taken over in 2015-16 and 25% in 2016-17.
- Government of India will not include the debt taken over by the states as per the above scheme in the calculation of fiscal deficit of respective states in the financial years 2015-16 and 2016-17.
- States will issue non-SLR including SDL bonds in the market or directly to the respective banks / financial institutions (FIs) holding the DISCOM debt to the appropriate extent.
- DISCOM debt not taken over by the state shall be converted by the banks / FIs into loans or bonds.
Mobile Applications launched by Ministry of Power
- Grameen Vidyutikaran (GARV) app to help citizens track rural electrification under DDUGJY.
- Vidyut Pravah app to provide real time information of electricity price and availability
- URJA (Urban Jyoti Abhiyaan) app for Urban Power Distribution Sector to enhance Consumer Connect, Project Monitoring of projects and providing information on the monthly performance on parameters like Consumer complaints redressal, Release of New service connection etc.
- E-Tarang app to monitor the real time status of Transmission System.
- E-Trans app to help in better price discovery in respect of Inter State Transmission projects.
Topic 5: General Knowledge
The 25th edition of SIMBEX, an acronym for “Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise” is scheduled from 10thto 21st November 2018 off Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal.
- Bilateral cooperation between Singapore and India was first formalised when RSN ships began training with the Indian Navy in 1994.
- The 2018 edition marks the Silver Jubilee of SIMBEX.
- To undertake continuous and institutionalised naval engagements in their shared maritime space including establishing maritime exercises with like-minded regional / ASEAN partners.
- It will witness a diverse range of exercises at sea ranging from live weapon drills including multiple missile firings.
Read more at: PIB