Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 2 : Environment
Global Sanitation Convention
Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation will organize a global sanitation convention to mark the beginning of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi, also coinciding with the fourth anniversary of the launch of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention (MGISC) will be a 4-day international conference that will bring together Sanitation Ministers and other leaders in WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) from around the world.
- The Convention will culminate on 2nd October, Gandhi Jayanti, which is also celebrated as the Swachh Bharat Diwas.
- Several mass mobilisation events and campaigns are being planned across the States in the run up to this Day.
- The success of the Swachh Bharat Mission will undoubtedly have a significant impact on the global achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG 6.2), i.e. to achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all. Simultaneously.
- Coordinated efforts are in place to improve sanitation levels in all sectors and all public places.
- The global Convention will be aimed at sharing sanitation success stories and lessons across all participating countries
Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM):
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (SBA) (Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) is a campaign in India that aims to clean up the streets, roads and infrastructure of India’s cities, smaller towns, and rural areas.
- The objectives of Swachh Bharat include eliminating open defecation through the construction of household-owned and community-owned toilets and establishing an accountable mechanism of monitoring toilet use.
- The mission aims to achieve an Open-Defecation Free (ODF) India by 2 October 2019, the 150th anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi.
Read more at: PIB
New Ganga clean-up law
Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation has prepared a draft bill with an aim to clean the river Ganga.
- The Bill calls for a National Ganga Council and a National Ganga Rejuvenation Authority to enforce the law and protect the river which flows over 2500 km.
- The draft Bill envisages the Ganga Protection Corps as an armed force “constituted and maintained” by the Central government
- Its personnel will be provided by the Ministry of Home Affairs and will be deployed by National Ganga Rejuvenation Authority.
- The commercial fishing or aqua culture activities in the Ganga and any of its tributaries shall be punishable with imprisonment for two years or a fine of Rs 2 lakh or both.
- The construction of permanent structure for residential, commercial and residential purposes in the active flood plain area of Ganga will be punishable with a two-year imprisonment or fine up to Rs 50 lakh or both.
- No person or municipal authority will establish or take any steps to set up any industrial or residential or commercial premises or structure which may result in discharge of any sewage or trade effluent into the Ganga, otherwise he may face a five-year prison term or a fine of Rs 50,000 per day or both.
Read more at: Indian Express
Topic 3 : ICT
Google to help EC track online political ads
Google will be helping the Election Commission (EC) keep tabs on online political advertising.
- The tech giant will develop a mechanism that will ensure pre-certification of political advertisements.
- Ensure that political advertisements are pre-certified by the EC’s Media Certification and Monitoring Committees
- The mechanism will help Returning Officers to calculate the election expenditure of individual candidates.
- It will help in minimisation of Fake news during elections.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
A Scheme for Promotion of Innovation, Rural Industry & Entrepreneurship (ASPIRE)
- The scheme is launched with an objective to set up a network of technology centers, incubation centres to accelerate entrepreneurship and also to promote start-ups for innovation and entrepreneurship in rural and agriculture based industry.
- The planned outcomes of ASPIRE are setting up Technology Business Incubators (TBI), Livelihood Business Incubators (LBI) and creation of a Fund of Funds for such initiatives with SIDBI.
Nai Udaan Scheme
- The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial support to minority students for preparation of Main Examination, who clear Prelims conducted by Union Public Service Commission, Staff Selection Commission, State Public Service Commission etc.
- It aims to adequately equip them to compete and to increase the representation of the minority in the Civil Services.
Topic 5: General Knowledge
Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA)
India and the United States sealed the landmark Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA).
- It will lead to a new generation of bilateral military partnership.
- It will facilitate access to advanced defence systems
- It enable India to optimally utilise its existing U.S.-origin platforms
Read more at: The Hindu