Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures for ESE 2019
Test Series for ESE 2019
UPSC Notification for ESE-2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Economic development
Financial Inclusion Index
The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affair launched the Financial Inclusion Index.
- The Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance will release an Annual Financial Inclusion Index (FII)
- It is a measure of access and usage of a basket of formal financial products and services that includes savings, remittances, credit, insurance and pension products.
- The index will have three measurement dimensions;
- Access to financial services
- Usage of financial services and
- The various components of the index will help to measure financial services
- Financial Inclusion Index can be used directly as a composite measure in development indicators.
- It enables fulfilment of G20 Financial Inclusion Indicators requirements.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 1:Social development
Ease of Living Index
Ease of Living Index is an initiative of Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- Andhra Pradesh has topped in States in terms of “Ease of Living Index”
- Ministry will help the cities, to assess their liveability with national and global benchmarks.
- Ease of Living framework comprised four pillars namely Institutional, Social, Economic and Physical.
- The index is in line with SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) 11, to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
Read more at: PIB
Unemployment among educated youth at 16%: study
The State of Working India 2018, a study released by Azim Premji University’s Centre for Sustainable Employment contended that the divergence between growth and jobs had increased over time.
Highlights of the study:
- Currently, the ratio of GDP growth to employment growth is less than 0.1.
- During 1970s and 80s, when GDP growth was around 3-4%, employment growth was about 2%
- In geographic terms, north Indian States are the most severely affected.
- In demographic terms, young people with higher education levels suffer an unemployment rate as high as 16%.
- The wages are rising in almost all sectors.
- The rural wage growth collapsed in 2014, and has not risen since.
- In the organised manufacturing sector, though the number of jobs has grown, there has also been an increase in the share of contract work, which offers lower wages and less job security.
- Women’s participation in the paid workforce is still low, but the situation is unequal across States.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1:Industrial development
Transformative initiative in MSME credit space
The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs launched today a transformative initiative in MSME credit space.
- The web portal www.psbloansin59minutes.com will enable in principle approval for MSME loans up to Rs. 1 crore within 59 minutes from SIDBI and 5 Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
- It is a strategic initiative of SIBDI led PSB consortium incubated under the aegis of Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance.
The key features of the contactless platform include:
- Majority stake of SIDBI & big 5 PSBs- SBI, Bank of Baroda, PNB, Vijaya and Indian Bank.
- A first for MSME borrowers-Connect with multiple banks without visiting the branch.
- Advanced Digital Platform for MSME Financing with Services Driven Architecture and highest level of Information Security
- Only Platform in the market with a Banker Interface which covers the Branch Level integrations
- Only Platform that enables Bankers to create Loan Products in line with the Scoring models & assessment methods within their approved credit policy
- Only Platform that has an integrated GST, ITR, Bank Statement Analyzer, Fraud Check and Bureau Check as well as host of other features which at present is not available with any other player in the market.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 3 : ICT
MAVEN spacecraft of NASA
MAVEN (Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN) spacecraft of NASA has beamed back a selfie to mark its four years of orbiting Mars.
- The MAVEN mission of NASA was launched on November 18, 2013, and went into Mars orbit on September 21, 2014.
- Its objective was to explore the Martian upper atmosphere and its influence on climate.
- MAVEN has completed its primary mission in November 2015 and has been operating in an extended mission with continuous investigation of Mars upper atmosphere .
- Found compelling evidence that the loss of atmosphere to space has been a major driver of climate change on Mars.
- It demonstrated that majority of the carbon dioxide (CO2) on Mars has been lost to space and there is not enough left to support life on the planet by warming it.
- It also discovered two new types of Martian auroras i.e., Diffuse aurora and Proton aurora.
Read more at: Indian Express
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY)
- The scheme aims to correct regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
- It has two components
- Setting up of AIIMS like institutions and
- Upgradation of Government medical college institutions.
Global Initiative Of Academic Networks (GIAN)
- It is an initiative aimed at tapping the talent pool of scientist and entrepreneurs internationally by collaborating Indian institutes of Higher Education in India with Foreign academics.
- It is to augment the country’s existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform and elevate the scientific and technological capacity to global excellence.