Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Economic development
Capacity Development Scheme
The Union approves continuation of Capacity Development Scheme for the ministry of Satistics and Program Implementation.
- The overall objective of the scheme is to augment infrastructural, technical as well as manpower resources for making available credible and timely Official Statistics for policy makers and public at large.
- Economic Census- listing of all non-agricultural establishments is undertaken periodically, which forms the basis for conducting detailed socio-economic surveys.
- Support for Statistical Strengthening (SSS)- to strengthen State/ Sub-State level statistical systems/ infrastructure to facilitate development of a robust national system
Read more at: PIB
Topic 1:Social development
India’s health report reads worse
‘India State-level Disease Burden Initiative’ report.
- The report is a joint initiative of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- The number of people ailing from chronic obstructive lung disease went up from 28 million to 55 million
- The proportional contribution of cancers to the total loss of health in India has doubled from 1990 to 2016, but the incidence of different types
- NCDs have been increasing in India, a major finding of concern is that the highest rate of increase in ischemic heart disease and diabetes is in the less developed States of India.
State wise Report:
- Punjab has been ranked at the top for the burden of ischemic heart disease, followed by Tamil Nadu, and vice-versa for diabetes.
- West Bengal topped with the largest number of stroke cases followed by Odisha.
- Kerala was ranked at the top for the burden of cancer, followed by Assam.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1:Industrial development
Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHanAbhiyan (PM-AASHA)
The Union Cabinet has approved a new Umbrella Scheme “Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan’ (PM-AASHA).
- The Scheme is aimed at ensuring remunerative prices to the farmers for their produce as announced in the Union Budget for 2018.
- To ensure that farmers growing oilseeds, pulses and copra actually get the minimum support prices (MSP)
- It clubs together an existing procurement scheme with newly introduced options — meant for oilseeds only — of additional procurement by private traders or a cash payment scheme.
- To protect the farmers’ income which is expected to go a long way towards the welfare of farmers.
Components of PM-AASHA:
- Price Support Scheme (PSS),
- Price Deficiency Payment Scheme (PDPS)
- Pilot of Private Procurement & Stockist Scheme (PPPS).
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Tamil Nadu Prohibits sale of e-cigarettes
Tamil Nadu State government has prohibited the manufacture, sale (including online sale), distribution, trade, display, marketing, import and possession of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems, popularly known as e-cigarettes.
- The prohibition of e-cigarettes follows the Health and Family Welfare Minister announcing on the floor of the Assembly on June 14 the banning of e-cigarettes.
- The ill-effects of e-cigarettes are being circulated — that inhaling through the device is harmful as it contains nicotine, ultrafine particles and also has heavy metals.
- The use of e-cigarettes causes adverse health effects due to second-hand exposure to metals like nickel and chromium.
- E-cigarettes is dangerous to children and non-smokers.
- An electronic cigarette or e-cigarette is a handheld electronic device that simulates the feeling of tobacco smoking.
- It works by heating a liquid to generate an aerosol, commonly called a “vapor”, that the user inhales.
- The health risks of e-cigarettes are uncertain.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 2 : Energy
Policy Framework to Promote and Incentivize Enhanced Recovery Methods for Oil and Gas
The Union Cabinet has approved the Policy framework to promote and incentivize Enhanced Recovery (ER)/ Improved Recovery (IR)/ Unconventional Hydrocarbon (UHC) production Methods/techniques.
- To improve recovery factor of existing hydrocarbons reserves for augmenting domestic production of oil and gas.
- The ER includes Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) and Enhanced Gas Recovery (EGR), Unconventional Hydrocarbon (UHC) production methods include Shale oil and gas production, tight oil and gas production, production from oil shale, gas hydrates and heavy oil.
- Enhanced Recovery, Improved Recovery and exploration and exploitation of unconventional hydrocarbons are capital intensive, technologically complex and challenging in nature
- Supporting infrastructure, logistic support, fiscal incentives and enabling environment.
- The strategic objective of the Policy is to build a supportive ecosystem through academic and research institutes, industry- academia collaboration and to support and encourage Exploration and Production (E&P) Contractors to deploy ER/IR/UHC Methods/ techniques.
- The Policy will be applicable to all contractual regimes and Nomination fields.
- The policy initiative is expected to spur new investment, provide impetus to economic activities and generate additional employment opportunities.
- The Policy is expected to facilitate induction of new,innovative and cutting-edge technology and forging technological collaboration to improve productivity of existing fields.
- The Policy envisages systemic assessment of every field for its ER potential, appraisal of appropriate ER techniques and fiscal incentives to de-risk the cost involved in ER Projects to make the investment financially viable.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana
- The programme was launched to give access to cheap credit to poor and small fledgling businesspersons with the objective to provide self-employment.
- Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency Ltd. [MUDRA] is an NBFC supporting development of micro enterprise sector.
- Under the scheme, loans are given to non-farm income generating enterprises in manufacturing and trading and services whose credit needs are below Rs.10 lakh.
- MUDRA provides refinance support to Banks / MFIs for lending to micro business.
- Public sector, regional, rural, State and urban cooperative banks to eligible for refinancing from MUDRA.
- Loans can be availed under three categories
- Shishu for loans up to Rs.50,000;
- Kishor for loans above Rs. 50,000 and up to Rs.5 lakh;
- Tarun for loans above Rs.5 lakh and up to Rs.10 lakh.
- Mudra debit cards are issued to borrowers. Using these, they can withdraw the loan from any ATM in India, as and when they need the money.
- Union government has recently tasked Labour Bureau to carry out the survey to ascertain the number of jobs created under the scheme.
Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi (RAN)
- It aims to provide financial assistance to BPL patients, who are suffering from major life threatening diseases, to receive medical treatment at any of the 13 listed super specialty institutes or government hospitals.
- The central government/state government/PSU employees are not eligible.
- The financial assistance to such patients is provided in the form of one-time grant, which is released to the Medical Superintendent of the Hospital in which the treatment has is being received.
- The States are needed to create their own State Illness Assistance funds in which central government contribute 50% of the fund and the fund is granted to Medical superintendent for treatment.
- The State government can grant up to Rs. 1.5 lakh in each individual case in their state and forward the cases that exceed Rs.1.5 lakh to RAN headquarters.
- A Revolving Fund has been set up in 13 Central Government hospitals/institutes.
- These hospitals can sanction financial assistance up to Rs.5 lakh, but beyond Rs.5 lakh it has to be referred to RAN headquarters