October 21,2018October 22, 2018
Quiz,October 20 & 21,2018October 22, 2018
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Social development
Transformation of Aspirational District Programme
Launched in January 2018, the ‘Transformation of Aspirational Districts’ initiative aims to remove this heterogeneity through a mass movement to quickly and effectively transform these districts.
- It aims to quickly and effectively transform some of India’s most underdeveloped districts.
- It will identify areas of immediate improvement, measure progress, and rank districts.
- The broad ideas of the programme include –
- convergence of central and state schemes
- collaboration of central, state level ‘Prabhari’ (in-charge) officers and district collectors
- competition among districts
- The states are the main drivers in the programme.
- Deliberately, the districts have been described as aspirational rather than backward.
- The motive is to view them as areas of opportunity and hope rather than of distress and hopelessness.
- The 115 districts were chosen by senior officials of the Union government.
- This was in consultation with State officials on the basis of a composite index.
- The parameters included are –
- Deprivation enumerated under Socio-Economic Caste Census
- Key health and education performance indicators
- State of basic infrastructure
- NITI Aayog in partnership with the government of Andhra Pradesh has created a dashboard.
- Monitoring the real-time progress of the districts.
- District collectors of all the aspirational districts can input the latest available data of their respective district
- The dashboard will also be open to the public
Significance of ADP:
- This is the first time India’s most backward districts are being focussed.
- ADP is a better vision of how public services are best delivered to those who need them the most.
- Achieving success in this programme necessitates the contribution of all 3 tiers of government.
- ADP takes the principle of competitive federalism down to district administrations.
- This will bring new ideas and fresh energy from non-government institutions, to join the “official” efforts.
- With real time data in ADP, those on the ground level can alter strategies after accurate feedback.
- The ADP reorients how government does its business of delivering development.
About Prabhari Officer:
- Each district has a prabhari (in-charge) officer:
- Assigned from the Centre (of additional secretary or joint secretary rank)
- assigned from the State (of the rank of Secretary to State government)
- A prabhari officer will work in cooperation with the district administration.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Climate fund allots $1bn for poor nations
- The Green Climate Fund approved 19 new projects, including a programme to protect freshwater resources in Bahrain.
- To help poor countries tackle climate change
About Green Climate Fund:
- The Green Climate Fund (GCF) is a fund established within the framework of the UNFCCC as an operating entity of the Financial Mechanism to assist developing countries in adaptation and mitigation practices to counter climate change.
- The GCF is based in the Incheon, South Korea.
- It is governed by a Board of 24 members and supported by a Secretariat.
- The objective of the Green Climate Fund is to “support projects, programmes, policies and other activities in developing country Parties using thematic funding windows”.
- The Green Climate Fund will support projects, programmes, policies and other activities in developing country Parties using thematic funding windows.
- It is intended to be the centrepiece of efforts to raise Climate Finance of $100 billion a year by 2020.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 2 : Energy
Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018)
The 27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) is scheduled to be held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- It was organised by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and hosted by Department of Atomic Energy and Gandhinagar-based Institute of Plasma Research.
- The conference aims to provide a forum for the discussion of key physics and technology issues as well as innovative concepts of direct relevance to the use of nuclear fusion as a source of energy.
- The conference will also set these results against the backdrop of the requirements for a net energy producing fusion device and a fusion power plant in general, and will thus help in defining the way forward.
- To reflect the priorities of this new era in fusion energy research.
- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is an international organization that seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- To inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
- The IAEA has its headquarters in Vienna, Austria.
- The IAEA reports to both the United Nations General Assembly and Security Council
- The IAEA serves as an intergovernmental forum for scientific and technical co-operation in the peaceful use of nuclear technology and nuclear power worldwide.
Read more at: IAEA
Topic 3 : ICT
- The e-Mitra (Mobile Integrated Toolkit RMNCH+A ) app has been designed to complement the Aspirational District Programme.
- It offers one stop solution to access The Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) related statistics from different sources through a combination of approaches.
Read more at: PIB
National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence
NITI has published a National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence.
- National Strategy lays down the vision of India for evolving a robust ecosystem for AI research and adoption.
- The Strategy is termed #AIForAll as it is focused on leveraging AI for inclusive growth in line with the Government policy of Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas.
- NITI Aayog has signed Statements of Intent (SoI) with industry leaders such as Google, Microsoft and IBM to leapfrog India into the global arena of future technologies
- Enable use of artificial intelligence in key, high gain sectors of social development – healthcare, agriculture, smart mobility, education and infrastructure.
- Multiple pilot projects have been launched in the areas of precision agriculture, creating AI led healthcare solutions, and bridging India’s diversity of languages by creating a digital “Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat” platform using Natural Language Processing (NLP).
About Artificial intelligence:
- Artificial intelligence is the use of computers to simulate human intelligence.
- AI amplifies our cognitive abilities letting us solve problems where the complexity is too great, the information is incomplete, or the details are too subtle and require expert training.
Natural Language Processing (NLP):
NLP is a system of protocols which allow machines or computers to understand and interact with human speech and symbols.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
- Aarambh is a mobile App for road maintenance in rural areas.
- The app aims at use of GIS based mapping for making road inventories, condition surveys, producing cost estimates and other relevant data for preparation and monitoring of annual road maintenance plans.
- There is also another initiative in the name of ―Aarambh launched by the network of organizations in India and Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) in Britain.
- It is the country’s first-ever hotline to curb sexual abuse of children through the Internet and to remove child pornographic content online.
National Initiative for Development and Harnessing Innovations(NIDHI)
- NIDHI is an umbrella program for nurturing ideas and innovations (knowledge-based and technology-driven) into successful startups.
- It aims to take forward student innovations in IEDC (Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centres) programme to commercialization stage and to accelerate the journey of idea to prototype by providing initial funding assistance.