Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Economic development
Purchasing Managers’ Index
Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) of the October month has been released recently.
- PMI is an indicator of the economic health and investor sentiments about the manufacturing sector (Manufacturing PMI) and services sector (Services PMI)
- Its purpose is to provide information about current business conditions to company decision makers, analysts and purchasing managers.
- The respondents can either give a “Positive, Neutral or Negative” response and each response is marked as “1, 0.5 or 0” on the score card respectively.
- In adding up the response, a reading above 50 indicates economic expansion, while a reading below 50 points shows contraction of economic activities.
- For India, the PMI Data is published by Japanese firm Nikkei but compiled and constructed by Markit Economics.
- Services PMI climbs to 52.2 in Oct
- India’s services sector, with an accelerated upturn in new work underpinning quicker rises in activity and jobs.
- Manufacturing PMI reached at 53.1 in October from 52.2 in September
- India Composite PMI Output Index (Manufacturing and services)improved to 53 in October from 51.6 in September.
Read more at:TheBusinessline
Topic 1:Industrial development
Ministry of Food Processing Industries(MoFPI) approved the operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens.
- In the budget speech of 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on the line of “Operation Flood”.
- To ensure availability of TOP crops throughout the country round the year without price volatility.
- To promote Farmer Producers Organizations, agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management.
Series of measures:
- Short term Price Stabilisation Measures:
NAFED will be the Nodal Agency to implement price stabilisation measures. MoFPI will provide 50% of the subsidy on the following two components:
- Transportation of Tomato Onion Potato(TOP) Crops from production to storage
- Hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops
2. Long Term Integrated value chain development projects
- Capacity Building of FPOs & their consortium
- Quality production
- Post-harvest processing facilities
- Marketing / Consumption Points
- Creation and Management of e-platform for demand and supply management of TOP Crops
Major objectives of “Operation Greens”:
- Enhancing value realisation of TOP farmers by targeted interventions to strengthen TOP production clusters and their FPOs, and linking/connecting them with the market.
- Price stabilisation for producers and consumers by proper production planning in the TOP clusters and introduction of dual use varieties.
- Reduction in post-harvest losses by creation of farm gate infrastructure, development of suitable agro-logistics, creation of appropriate storage capacity linking consumption centres.
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition in TOP value chain with firm linkages with production clusters.
- Setting up of a market intelligence network to collect and collate real time data on demand and supply and price of TOP crops.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Ganga Gram is a concept to transform the villages on the bank of river Ganga into ideal villages with emphasis on Open Defecation Free, Solid and Liquid Waste Management, Water Conservation, Groundwater Recharge, modern crematorium, tree plantation, organic and medicinal plants.
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation is working in the direction of sustaining the ODF status of Ganga Bank area.
- People participate in SLWM activities, not to litter around and pollute water sources, take care of their waste management and promote organic farming.
- All 4465 Ganga Bank villages declared as ODF
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Energy
Saura Jalnidhi scheme
Odisha Government has launched Saura Jalnidhi scheme which aims at increasing use of solar energy for helping farmers in irrigation.
Features of the scheme:
- Soura Jalanidhi is a dug well based solar pump irrigation system in convergence mode.
- Under the scheme, 5,000 solar pumps will be provided to farmers at a subsidy of 90 per cent to irrigate 2,500 acres of land.
- The beneficiary of this scheme will be farmers who have valid farmer identity cards and have minimum 0.5 acres of agricultural land.
- In the first phase, this scheme will be available in those areas where electricity is not available for running the pump set.
- The web portal has launched of this scheme.
Read more at: NewIndianExpress
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
‘Udyami Mitra’ portal
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has revamped its Udyami Mitra with enhanced features.
- The portal was launched to improve accessibility of credit for the MSMEs.
- It helps MSMEs for submission of loan applications which can be picked up by multiple lenders
- It aims at bringing in transparency in processing of loans by the banks.
- Now non-banking finance companies and small finance banks are being on-boarded on the platform for enhancing flow of credit to MSMEs.
- Under the new capitalisation plan banks will have to compete for loans through the revamped udyamimitra portal.
- Transparency, Auction Monitoring and Resource Augmentation (TAMRA) is a web portal and mobile application, to streamline the process of various statutory clearances required for mining operations.
- It will display block-wise, state-wise and mineral-wise information of the blocks to be auctioned.
Topic 5: General Knowledge
India declares nuclear triad operational
India declared that its nuclear triad, stated in its nuclear doctrine, is operational after indigenous ballistic missile nuclear submarine INS Arihant achieved a milestone by conducting its first deterrence patrol.
- INS Arihant is now prowling the deep seas carrying ballistic missiles equipped with nuclear warheads
- INS Arihant is the first of five nuclear missile submarines planned for induction.
- It is to be equipped with K 15 (or BO-5) shortrange missiles with a range of over 700 km and the K 4 ballistic missile with a range of 3,500 km.
- A nuclear triad refers to the nuclear weapons delivery via land, air and sea i.e. land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), strategic bombers, and submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs).
Read more at: The Hindu