Quiz – May 15, 2018May 16, 2018
Quiz – May 16, 2018May 18, 2018
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
Topic 1:Economic development
The first Indian exchange to get US SEC recognition
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) Asia’s oldest stock exchange, has become the first Indian exchange to be recognised as a Designated Offshore Securities Market (DOSM) by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- The DOSM status allows sale of securities to U.S. investors through the trading venue of BSE without registration of such securities with the U.S. SEC and thus eases the trades by U.S. investors in India.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1:Industrial development
Micro Irrigation Fund with NABARD
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved an initial Corpus of Rs.5,000 crore for setting up of a dedicated “Micro Irrigation Fund” (MIF) with National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
- The dedicated Micro Irrigation Fund would supplement the efforts of Per Drop More Crop Component (PDMC) of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana in an effective and timely manner.
- With the additional investment for micro irrigation accessing MIF, innovative composite/ commodity/ community/ cluster based micro irrigation projects/ proposals may bring about 10 lakh ha.
- The Fund will facilitate States to mobilise resources for their initiative to achieve the annual target of about 2 Million ha/year during the remaining period of 14th Finance Commission under Per Drop More Crop Component of PMKSY
- The approval shall have Pan India coverage.
- Community driven and innovative projects to be taken up by the States would bring additional coverage of Micro Irrigation.
About Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana :
- Extending the coverage of irrigation
- Improving water use efficiency
- End to end solution on source creation, distribution, management, field application and extension activities.
- It is formulated by amalgamating ongoing schemes
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) – Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR,RD&GR).
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) – Department of Land Resources (DoLR), Ministry of Rural Development.
- On Farm Water Management (OFWM) – Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC).
- Implementation – Decentralised manner through State Irrigation Plan and District Irrigation Plan
Read more at: PIB
Intellectual Property mascot – IP Nani
The Minister of Commerce and Industry launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot – IP Nani.
- Mascot IP Nani is a tech-savvy grandmother who helps the government and enforcement agencies in combating IP crimes with the help of her grandson “Chhotu” aka Aditya.
- The IP mascot will spread awareness about the importance of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) among people, especially children, in an interesting manner.
- It also highlighted that how a strong IP system can support innovative and creative women and indeed everyone in their quest to bring their amazing ideas to the market.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
India’s best city in solid waste management
- The Union government has selected Mangaluru in the state of Karnataka as “India’s best city in solid waste management” under the categories of cities having a population between three lakh and 10 lakh under Swachhata Survekshan 2018
- Mangaluru is among the 23 cities selected in the country for the national-level award under different categories.
About Swachhata Survekshan:
- The on-field survey for Swachhata Survekshan has been conducted by an independent agency
- The data for ranking the cities were collected through direct observation, citizen feedback and service-level progress (meant to verify whether systems and processes are in place in Urban Local Bodies to implement Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) in the most efficient way)
Read more at:The Hindu
Topic 2 : Energy
India’s first solar powered railway station
Guwahati now has India’s first railway station run by solar power.
- The project of installing solar panels was commissioned last year in April 2017
- Solar panels have been installed at the roof-top solar power plant.
- The solar-powered station is aimed at reducing carbon-footprint as well as cut down power costs drastically.
- Around 6.3 lakh kg carbon dioxide emissions have been cut off between April 12 last year to May 10 this year.
- The solar power plant will save Rs 67 lakh worth of electricity.
Read more at: ET
National Policy on Biofuels – 2018
The Union Cabinet has approved National Policy on Biofuels – 2018.
- The Policy categorises biofuels as “Basic Biofuels” to enable extension of appropriate financial and fiscal incentives under each category
- First Generation (1G) bioethanol & biodiesel and “Advanced Biofuels”
- Second Generation (2G) ethanol, Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) to drop-in fuels,
- Third Generation (3G) biofuels, bio-CNG etc..
- The Policy expands the scope of raw material for ethanol production
- The Policy allows use of surplus food grains for production of ethanol for blending with petrol with the approval of National Biofuel Coordination Committee.
- The Policy indicates a viability gap funding scheme for 2G ethanol Bio refineries
- The Policy encourages setting up of supply chain mechanisms for biodiesel production from non-edible oilseeds, used Cooking Oil, short gestation crops.
- Roles and responsibilities of all the concerned Ministries/Departments with respect to biofuels has been captured in the Policy document to synergise efforts.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Unnat Krishi Shiksha Scheme
- It was launched to promote agricultural education
- Under the scheme 100 centres are opened with a fund of Rs.5.35 crore.
- Attracting and retaining youth in Agriculture (ARYA) is a project sanctioned by the Indian Council of Agriculture (ICAR) and is being implemented at Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs).
- The main objective of the project was to provide complete knowledge and skill on processing, value addition and marketing of coconut and banana products through capacity building programmes involving research and development organizations.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan (PMGDISHA)
- It is the new scheme to make rural households digitally literate by 2019.
- This scheme is initiated under Digital India Programme and expected to be one of the largest digital literacy programs in the world
- It would empower the citizens by providing them access to information, knowledge and skills for operating computers/digital access devices
Gold Monetisation Scheme
- It is a gold savings account which will earn interest for the gold that you deposit in it.
- Deposited gold can be in any physical form – jewellery, coins or bars.
- The tenure of gold deposits is likely to be for a minimum of one year
- The long-term objective is to reduce the country’s reliance on the import of gold to meet domestic demand.
- The scheme will also help in mobilizing the large amount of gold lying as an idle asset with households.