Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
Note: We are adding one more feature ‘The Key Initiatives of the Government’ to the daily news.
Topic 1:Industrial development
National Technology Day Celebrations
20th National Technology Day, is the anniversary of the Pokhran nuclear tests.
- The Pokhran tests of May 1998 were a demonstration of both scientific capacity and political will.
Technological Innovation Awards
This year technological innovation awards were given to the projects including,
- vaccine that will help defeat rotavirus
- low-cost but high-performing diagnostic machine for kidney and other non-communicable illnesses.
- advance in wireless communication
- drug delivery for cancer patients
- help fight the growing problem of antimicrobial resistance.
- charger for lithium ion batteries
Read more at:PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
We hope To Clean 70 to 80 Percent Ganga by March 2019: Nitin Gadkari
Achievements so far
- 251 Gross Polluting Industries (GPI) have been closed
- real time monitoring of pollutions is being done in 938 industries
- 20 modular STPs(Sewage Treatment Plants) are being deployed to treat Nalla water
- almost all the 4470 villages on the bank of Ganga are now Open Defecation Free (ODF)
Is an integrated Ganga Conservation Mission. It is an umbrella programme with the aim to integrate previous, currently ongoing and new projects planned as part of the programme
Read more at:PIB
Topic 3 : ICT
15th Asia Media Summit (AMS) 2018
The three-day media summit is being hosted by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry jointly with the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and public sector firm Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Ltd (BECIL).
The theme of the summit is: ‘Telling Our Stories – Asia and More”.
- Today, e-commerce companies, telecom operators and social networks, all seek to play a role as major media players. A level playing field is a pre-requisite for healthy competition
- Digital media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and YouTube, were enablers of great conversation, but were also hotbeds of misinformation, propaganda and the spread of fake news
- We must proactively protect our national interests with laws to ensure data stays within India and is governed by Indian law
Read more at:ET
Topic 5 : General Knowledge
US withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal
The JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) – as the Iran deal is formally known – was signed between Iran, the US, Russia, China, Britain, France, Germany and the EU.
- The 2015 agreement was reached after more than two years of negotiations.
- The United States will now reimpose the stringent sanctions it imposed on Iran before the deal and is considering new penalties.
Read more at:The Hindu
The Key Initiatives of Government
Topic: Young India – Vibrant India/Sabal Bharat- Samartha Bharat
STAND UP INDIA
- To promote entrepreneurship among SC/ST and Women·
- Loans of more than 15,000 entrepreneurs approved
- Startup India Movement launched on 16th January 2016 for promotion of Entrepreneurship among youth.
- Action plan unveiled for encouraging startups.
- Tax relief for three consecutive years out of a block of seven year for startups.
- Start-up Fund of Rs. 10,000 Crore to be released over two Finance Commission cycles.
- 4536 Startup applications have been recognized as Startups by DIPP
OTHER INITIATIVES TO PROMOTE ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- Meritorious Innovation Awards
- Transferred about 120 technologies to various entrepreneurs/ Start-ups
- Government Facilitator for IP filings for Start-Ups
- Indian Oil and GAIL Start-up Scheme
- Launched by PM on 8th April, 2015 to promote entrepreneurship spirit among the youth.
- Easy, loans without guarantee under three categories – Shishu, Kishore and Tarun by the banks.
- Loans more than Rs. 1.80 lakh crore disbursed
- More than 70% of the loans has been availed of by women entrepreneurs
Pradhan Mantri Yuva Yojana (MSDE)
- In order to encourage entrepreneurship among youth
- The scheme aims at creating a culture of Entrepreneurship amongst youth by motivating, educating and equipping them with basics skills of entrepreneurship.
- The scheme will be launched in 2200 Institutes of Higher Learning (colleges/universities/polytechnics), 300 schools, 500 ITI’s and 50 Entrepreneurship Development Centres (EDCs).
- The entrepreneurship education will be provided along with the formal education courses through Facilitated Blended Model, which is a combination of e-Learning and Classroom teaching.
- E Cell is an important component of the scheme which build entrepreneurial capabilities in the students by virtue of exposing them to the real-life situations.