- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
Topic 1:Economic development
Infrastructure fund NIIF takes off
India’s first sovereign wealth fund NIIF has bought 90% stake in logistics firm Continental Warehousing in partnership with Dubai’s DP World, which is the first investment of the platform
- The joint venture of NIIF and port operator DP World — Hindustan Infralog (HIPL) will purchase the 90% stakes of Continental Warehousing (Nhava Sheva) Ltd.
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) partnered with DP World and aims to use its $3 billion for investing in the ports sector.
- HIPL will invest in opportunities in the ports sector, and beyond seaports into areas such as river ports and transportation, freight corridors, port-led special economic zones, inland container terminals
- Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) became the first institutional investor in NIIF’s Master Fund and a shareholder in the NIIF’s investment management company
- In December 2015 government had approved the creation of NIIF with an aim to maximize economic impact through infrastructure development in commercially viable projects, both greenfield and brownfield, including stalled projects.
- The government is also considering investments in third-party managed funds focused on clean energy, affordable housing and medium-sized infrastructure companies
Read more at:Financial Express
Topic 1:Social development
GIAN launched to enable foreign faculty
The recruitment of faculty is a continuous process and the vacancies keep arising due to retirement, resignation and additional requirements on account of enhanced students’ strength.
- The Government has also launched the Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN) to help foreign faculty to teach some courses in the higher educational institutions.
- The Government has decided to allow faculty working under the Central Government or Central Autonomous Bodies, to join the newly set up Central Educational Institutions on long-term deputation, for a period of 10 years.
Read more at: PIB
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
The annual plans under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) are prepared by the States and UT’s based on their requirements and priority.
- These plans are then appraised and approved/estimated in consultation with the States and UTs as per the programmatic and financial norms of the scheme and availability of budgetary resources.
- As per the SSA framework of implementation, the States/UTs are not entitled for financial support for activities that have already been implemented by them.
- Funds under the SSA programme are provided by the Central Government to States/UTs based on the approved norms and guidelines of the Scheme
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
New forest policy
The Union Environment Ministry has come up with a new forest policy that focuses on climate change mitigation and reducing threats like wild fires, encroachment and man-animal conflict.
- The draft National Forest Policy 2018 — which aims to replace a 30-year-old forest policy
- Tends to address issues that have emerged over a period of time, including increasing public-private partnerships
- The new policy is required to address the low quality of natural forests, climate change, human-wildlife conflict, water crisis and air and water pollution.
- The draft calls for mapping vulnerable areas and develop early warning systems and methods to control fire through remote-sensing technology and community participation
Read more at:Financial Express
Topic 2 : Energy
India’s first home-delivery of Diesel kicked
In a first of its kind move in the country, Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), the nation’s largest fuel retailer, has started home-delivery of diesel in the city of Pune and intends to start pan-India soon.
- The Oil Marketing Company intends to start home-delivery of diesel in the beginning and may take a call later on home-delivery of petrol too
- ANB Fuels, under the brand MyPetrolPump, had launched first-of-its-kind home delivery of diesel in Bengaluru with three delivery vehicles in June
Read more at: ET
Topic 3 : ICT
NCAA becomes the World’s First Trusted Digital Repository
National Cultural Audiovisual Archives (NCAA) project of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India, implemented by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) has been certified as the world’s first Trusted Digital Repository.
- The primary objective of the NCAA is to identify and preserve the cultural heritage of India available in audiovisual form through a process of digitization and making it accessible to the people
- The digitization and metadata standards followed by the Project are in parity with international standards within the overall framework of the OAIS model.
- The digitization standards are in concordance with those prescribed by the International Association of Sound & Audiovisual Archives (IASA) and the metadata schema is extended Dublin Core, followed by galleries, libraries, archives and museums worldwide
Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts has been set up by the Government of India, as a premier research institute dedicated to holistic understanding and expression of Indian arts in their inter and multidisciplinary nature. One of the principal aims of the centre is to serve as a major national resource centre for the arts.
Read more at :PIB