- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
Topic 1:Economic development
India’s Economic growth prospects remain positive: IMF
The Indian economy now seems to be on its way to recovering from disruptions caused by demonetization and roll-out of goods and services tax (GST), the IMF said.
- India’s economy has expanded strongly in recent years, thanks to macroeconomic policies that emphasize stability and efforts to tackle supply-side bottlenecks and structural reforms
- The Indian economy would benefit from further reforms, such as enhancing health and education, encouraging private and public investment, and improving the efficiency of the banking and financial system.
- This would support durable and inclusive growth and enable India to move toward the income levels of wealthier countries
- Further supply-side reforms aimed at improving the business climate could enhance the benefits
- The center partners with India and its South Asian neighbors to build strong institutions and implement policies that promote growth and poverty reduction in the region
Read more at: Timesnow
Topic 1:Social development
India’s first coastal policing academy to start from next month
The country’s first national academy to train police forces in effectively safeguarding the Indian shoreline will start functioning in Devbhumi Dwarka district of Gujarat from next month.
- The Union Home Ministry recently sanctioned the launch of the National Academy of Coastal Policing (NACP) from a campus of Gujarat’s Fisheries Research Centre located in coastal Okha.
- To be run by a team of paramilitary and defence forces, the academy will sharpen the skills of marine forces of coastal States
Read more at: The Hindu
The government has launched the #YesIBleed menstrual hygiene campaign.
- #Yes I Bleed aims to create a holistic approach to the issue of menstruation, which is an experience that transcends culture, class, and caste.
- The campaign has been initiated formally across all multi-media platforms, including Facebook and YouTube to spread awareness about the issue.
- Today, in India, approximately 35 crore women menstruate and it is estimated that only 12% use proper menstrual hygiene practices and menstrual products. The remaining 88% having no access whatever. They find sanitary pads unaffordable.
- In India’s rural areas, with the lack of resources, education and awareness about personal hygiene, not just lack of information about hygiene products, the women don’t even have any conversation around menstruation.
- For the less privileged, periods are the few ‘cursed’ days of the month. A woman on her periods cannot enter the temple, kitchen or take part in any auspicious occasion – because she is ‘impure’.
- The 88% who do not have access to sanitary pads use un sanitised cloth, husk sand, tree leaves and even ash. These can cause severe reproductive health problems and infections, and can also lead to cervical cancer.
- Also, there is the issue of school dropouts and poor attendance because of inadequate menstrual hygiene management. This also is one of the causes for loss of wages for women labourers.
Read more at: TOI
Topic 2 : Energy
India commits $1.4 billion for solar energy worldwide
India announced one of the world’s largest investment plans in solar energy at the Founding Conference of the International Solar Alliance (ISA). The $1.4 billion line of credit will cover 27 projects in 15 countries and boost the much-required financial power to the solar sector.
- India’s goodwill backed by French economic clout created a new development-oriented narrative at the Summit that witnessed presence from 60 signatory countries
- Presence of leaders from Africa and the Pacific region riding on their earlier summits with India in 2014-2015 signals Delhi growing geo-political clout as the Modi government hopes to produce solar panels at rates cheaper than those Made in China.
Read more at:The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
Telangana launches integrated app for all government services
The Telangana government on Wednesday launched an m-Governance mobile application called ‘T App Folio’ to help citizens with one point access to government services like MeeSeva services, RTA services, fee payments and bill payment services etc.
- In phase-I of T App Folio, ESD has on-boarded (over) 150 services on T App Folio which includes the most used MeeSeva services, RTA services, fee payments and bill payments services.
- In addition, a host of informational services, location services like MeeSeva centers, Ration shops, Hy-Fi hotspots have also been made available on T App Folio
- In the subsequent phases, T App Folio aims to involve developer community in bringing innovation in government service delivery by providing them access to application programming interface of G2C services.
Read more at: ET