Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Social development
World’s hungry population on the rise again: UN report
The number of hungry people in the world has risen for the first time in more than a decade, according to United Nations Sustainable Development Goals 2018 report.
The Report Highlights:
- There are now approximately 38 million more undernourished people in the world
- Conflict is now one of the main drivers of food insecurity in 18 countries.
- Apart from conflict, drought and disasters linked to climate change are among the key factors causing hungry
- The deadline to meet the 17 SDGs is 2030.
About Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs):
- The SDGs are a collection of 17 global goals set by the United Nations in 2015.
- Also known as the Global Goals
- To end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
- The formal name for the SDGs is: “Transforming our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.” That has been shortened to “2030 Agenda.”
The associated factors in South Asia:
- South Asia has seen child marriage rates plunge.
- The water stress levels for many countries in the region are above 70%, indicating fast-approaching water scarcity.
- Southern Asia score the worst in urban pollution.
- Electricity and sanitation deficits in south Asia are still poor.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1: Industrial Development
Women Wizards Rule Tech Programme
Indian IT industry’s apex body NASSCOM (National Association of Software & Services Companies) has launched ‘Women Wizards Rule Tech’ programme to increase number of women in senior levels in Information Technology (IT) industry.
- It is as joint initiative by Nasscom Sector Skills Council and Data Security Council of India.
- The programme is designed to support women who are moving up in the career ladder.
- It will aid them in core technologies like IT-Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES), product and research and development (R&D), Business Process Management (BPM) sectors.
- National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) is global non-profit trade association (organisation) of Indian Information Technology (IT) and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry.
- It facilitates business and trade in software and services and encourages the advancement of research in software technology.
- It is registered under the Indian Societies Act, 1860.
- Its headquarters are in New Delhi.
Data Security Council of India (DSCI)
- DSCI is a not-for-profit, industry body on data protection in India, set up by NASSCOM
- It is committed to making the cyberspace safe, secure and trusted by establishing best practices, standards and initiatives in cyber security and privacy.
- DSCI engages with governments and their agencies, regulators, industry sectors, industry associations and think tanks for policy advocacy, thought leadership, capacity building and outreach activities.
Read more at: Techtrail
Topic 2 : Environment
EU High Level Event on Climate Change
Second Ministerial on Climate Action (MoCA) by the EU, China and Canada, a major international two-day climate meeting in happening in Brussels.
- The general reflections on the outcome for COP 24 and its main deliverables.
- Key matters of the Paris Agreement Work Programme
- The MoCA brings together Ministers and high-level representatives from the world’s largest economies and other countries from the different regional groups
- The MoCA to encourage global leadership and ambition in the fight against climate change by building momentum for the implementation of the Paris Agreement
Read more at:ET
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Gram Uday se Bharat Uday Abhiyan
- It is Village Self Governance campaign launched on the 125th birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar.
- Its aim is to make nationwide efforts to strengthen Panchayati Raj and through it, boost social harmony in the villages, promote rural development and foster farmers‘ welfare & livelihoods of the poor.
- The campaign will be run jointly by the Ministries of Rural Development, Agriculture, Social Justice, Labour and Information and Broadcasting along with the States.
Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- The mission is launched for conservation and development of indigenous breeds in a focused and scientific manner.
- It is a project under National Programme for Bovine Breeding and Dairy Development.
- The objectives of this mission include Conservation of indigenous breeds and their development to improve their genetic makeup, enhancing the milk productivity and distribution of disease free high genetic merit bulls for natural service
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission is being implemented through ―State Implementing Agencies (SIA) viz Livestock Development Boards.
- One of the main requisites for the pensioners to avail pension is to provide life certificates.
- It is an AADHAR Biometric Authentication based digital life certificates for Pensioners.
- It will do away with the requirement of a pensioner having to submit a physical Life Certificate every year.
- Submission of Digital Life Certificate also ensures authenticity of pension payments.
Topic 5: General Knowledge
Discovery of a Sub-Saturn like Planet around a Sun-like star
A Team of scientists and engineers led by Prof. Abhijit Chakraborty of Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad, discovered a sub-Saturn or super-neptune size planet (mass of about 27 Earth Mass and size of 6 Earth Radii) around a Sun-like star.
- The planet will be known as EPIC 211945201b or K2-236b.
- The discovery was made by measuring the mass of the planet using the indigenously designed “PRL Advance Radial-velocity Abu-sky Search” (PARAS) spectrograph.
- This discovery is very important for understanding the formation mechanism of such super-Neptune or sub-Saturn kind of planets, that are too close to the host star and as well as planet formations around Sun-like stars.
- India has joined a handful of countries, which have discovered planets around stars beyond our solar system.
- PARAS is the first of its kind spectrograph in Asia, which can measure the mass of a planet going around a star. Very few spectrographs exist around the world that can do such precise measurements.
Read more at: PIB