Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Social development
Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme
Government of India has approved a new scheme namely Mahila Shakti Kendra for implementation during 2017-18 upto 2019-20 to empower rural women through community participation.
- The Scheme is implemented with cost sharing ratio of 60:40 between centre and states except for North East and Special Category States where the ratio is 90:10.
- The scheme is envisaged to work at various levels and at the national level (domain based knowledge support) and state level (State Resource Centre for Women) technical support to the respective governments on issues related to women is provided
- Community engagement through College Student Volunteers is envisioned in 115 aspirational districts. Student volunteers are to play an instrumental role in awareness generation regarding various important government schemes/ programmes as well as social issues.
- District Level Centre for Women (DLCW) has also been envisaged for 640 districts to be covered in phased manner.
- These centres to serve as a link between village, block and state level in facilitating women centric schemes and also give foothold for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme at the district level.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 1:Industrial development
Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP)
The Central Government launched the Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) from 1996-97 for extending loan assistance to states for the completion of near complete irrigation scheme.
- To provide Central Loan Assistance (CLA) to major/medium irrigation projects in the country
- To accelerate the implementation of those projects which were beyond resource capability of the states or were in advanced stage of completion.
- Funding mechanism through NABARD has been approved by the Government for both Central and State share
Read more at: PIB
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) is to ensure access to some means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country, to produce ‘per drop more crop’, thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.
- Achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level
- Enhance the physical access of water on the farm and expand cultivable area under assured irrigation
- Integration of water source, distribution and its efficient use, to make best use of water through appropriate technologies and practices.
- Improve on – farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage and increase availability both in duration and extent.
- Enhance the adoption of precision – irrigation and other water saving technologies (More crop per drop).
- Enhance recharge of aquifers and introduce sustainable water conservation practices.
- Ensure the integrated development of rainfed areas using the watershed approach towards soil and water conservation, regeneration of ground water, arresting runoff, providing livelihood options and other NRM activities.
- Promote extension activities relating to water harvesting, water management and crop alignment for farmers and grass root level field functionaries.
- Explore the feasibility of reusing treated municipal wastewater for peri – urban agriculture.
- Attract greater private investments in irrigation.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Energy
Kochi airport won UN’s champion of earth prize -2018
Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) has been selected for the champion of earth prize -2018, the highest environmental honour instituted by United Nations.
- CIAL is honoured for its successful implementation of solar energy project to power the Kochi airport
- The CIAL was chosen for ‘action and inspiration ‘ which recognises individuals or organizations that have taken bold environmental action, and, in doing so, inspired others to follow in their footsteps
- CIAL, the company which owns and operates country’s first airport built under public private partnership mode became power neutral on August 18, 2015
About UN earth award :
UN established champion of earth award in 2005 to recognise outstanding environmental leaders from the public and private sectors, and from civil society.
Read more at: ET
Topic 3 : ICT
Innovate India Platform
Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog & MyGov launches “Innovate India Platform” . The #InnovateIndia portal will serve as the common point for all the innovation happening across the nation.
- The platform is open to all Indian citizens
- The users can View, comment, share, and rate the innovations crowdsourced on the #InnovateIndia platform
- View the leaderboard which is calculated based on the votes on each innovation.
- Citizens can share their/organizations/someone else’s innovation on the platform by login to the MyGov website
- These innovations can also be shared on various social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter
Atal Innovation Mission:
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) including Self-Employment and Talent Utilization (SETU) is Government of India’s endeavour to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Its objective is to serve as a platform for promotion of world-class Innovation Hubs, Grand Challenges, Start-up businesses and other self-employment activities, particularly in technology driven areas.
Core functions of AIM:
- Entrepreneurship promotion: through Self-Employment and Talent Utilization, wherein innovators would be supported and mentored to become successful entrepreneurs
- Innovation promotion: to provide a platform where innovative ideas are generated
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA)
- The mega project has three major objectives of Strategic research, Technology demonstrations and Capacity building.
- It was launched by Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR).
- Its aims to make farmers self-reliant by use of climate resilient agricultural technologies and management of natural and manmade resources for sustaining agriculture in the era of climate change.
- It has four components:
- Strategic research on adaptation and mitigation
- Technology demonstration to cope with current climate variability in 100 vulnerable districts
- Capacity Building
- Sponsored competitive research to fill critical gaps
Topic 5: General Knowledge
West Bengal renames itself as ‘Bangla’
The West Bengal Assembly passed a resolution to change the name of the State as ‘Bangla’ in three languages — Bengali, English and Hindi.
- The fresh proposal comes to the Home Ministry, it will prepare a note for the Union Cabinet for an amendment to the Schedule 1 of the Constitution
- A Constitution Amendment Bill will be introduced in Parliament, which has to approve it with a simple majority
- The President will give his assent to the bill.
- Change of name officially
Read more at: The Hindu
Ramon Magsaysay Awards-2018
- Sonam Wangchuk, and educational reformer from Ladakh, widely regarded as the inspiration for Aamir Khan’s character, Phunsuk Wangdu in the film ‘3 Idiots’, is one of two Indians named for the 2018 Ramon Magsaysay Awards.
- Bharat Vatwani, a psychiatrist who works for mentally ill street people in Mumbai. Operation New Hope was launched to consolidate the programme. Vatwani was recognised for “his tremendous courage and healing compassion” in embracing mentally-afflicted destitute people.
- It is an annual award established to perpetuate former Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay’s example of integrity in governance, courageous service to the people, and pragmatic idealism within a democratic society.
- The prize was established in April 1957 by the trustees of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund based in New York City with the concurrence of the Philippine government.
Read more at: The Hindu