Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019 Paper I
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Economic development
Consolidation of Regional Rural Banks (RRBs)
The roadmap has been prepared in consultation with NABARD.
- To minimize their overhead expenses
- Optimize the use of technology
- Enhance the capital base and area of operation
- Increase their exposure
- Better scale-efficiency
- Higher productivity
- Robust financial health of RRBs
- Improved financial inclusion
- Greater credit flow to rural areas.
- Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) are scheduled commercial banks (Government banks) operating at regional level in different States of India.
- They have been created with a view to serve primarily the rural areas of India with basic banking and financial services.
Read more at: PIB
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) was introduced from Kharif 2016 season in the country.
- The scheme provides comprehensive risk coverage from pre-sowing to post harvest losses due to non-preventable natural risks
- The farmers are provided with maximum risk coverage
- A minimum uniform fixed premium rate payable by them i.e. maximum 2% for Kharif crops, 1.5% for Rabi Crop and 5% for annual commercial/horticultural crops
- The balance of actuarial/bidded premium to be shared by the Central and State Government on 50 : 50 basis.
- Under the scheme unit area of insurance has been lowered to village/village panchayat level for assessment of losses of major crops
- Usage of Information and Communication Technology to asses the timely risks
Read more at: PIB
Topic 1:Social development
National Policy on Women’s Safety
An Action Plan has been furnished by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, which covers legal and schematic interventions to enhance safety of Women
- To strengthen implementation of legislations including those on prohibition of child marriage, indecent representation of women, protect women against domestic violence, POCSO, trafficking, and prevention and prohibition of sexual harassment.
- To implement schematic interventions including those for women to prevent violence and improve status of girl child,
- Convergence of various projects under implementation for women safety and rehabilitation
Read more at: PIB
Topic 1:Industrial development
Model Act on Contract Farming
The Government has formulated and released a progressive and facilitative Model Act “The State/ UT Agricultural Produce & Livestock Contract Farming and Services (Promotion & Facilitation) Act, 2018.
- The Model Contract Farming Act covers the entire value and supply chain from pre-production to post harvest marketing including services contract for the agricultural produce and livestock.
- To engage private players including Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) in the contract farming and services contracts under the Act
- It will help in mitigating the price risk and market uncertainties through advance agreements and would encourage entry of private players into the farm sector.
About Contract Farming:
Contract farming can be defined as agricultural production carried out according to an agreement between a buyer and farmers, which establishes conditions for the production and marketing of a farm product or products
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Energy
Mukhyanmantri Kisan Aaye Badhotri Solar Yojana
Delhi government announced the ‘Mukhyanmantri Kisan Aaye Badhotri Solar Yojana
- It aims to increase the income of farmers by three to five times in the national capital.
- The maximum of one-third surface area of the agriculture land can be used for installation of solar panels in such a way that agriculture activity is not affected.
- With the introduction of this scheme, farmers’ income will be increased by three to five times per acre
Read more at: ET
Topic 2 : Environment
Protecting the Taj Mahal
The Uttar Pradesh government filed the first draft report of its vision document on protection and preservation of the Taj Mahal in the Supreme Court.
- The entire precinct should be declared a no-plastic zone.
- The use of bottled water inside should also be prohibited.
- All polluting industries in the region be closed.
- More tourism hubs should be created.
- A comprehensive traffic management plan to promote pedestrian movement.
- Roads along Yamuna riverfront should be planned so traffic is limited.
- There should be no construction on the Yamuna floodplain and the riverbank should only have natural plantations.
Read more at: NDTV
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
- UJALA – Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All is an energy efficiency scheme to promote efficient lighting, enhance awareness on using efficient equipment which reduce electricity bills and help preserve environment.
- Under this scheme, LED bulbs at 40% of the market price will be distributed to every grid connected consumer.
- It is implemented by the Electricity Distribution Company and Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
Coal Mitra Web Portal
- The portal is designed to bring about flexibility in Utilization of Domestic Coal.
- The portal helps to transfer the domestic coal reserves to more cost efficient State/ Centre owned or private sector generating stations, leading to lower generation costs and ultimately lesser cost of electricity for the consumers