Quiz – July 22, 2018July 23, 2018
Quiz – July 23,2018July 24, 2018
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Social development
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan is a flagship programme of the Ministry of HRD, it aims to link the Higher Education Institutions with set of at least 5 villages, so that these institutions can contribute to the economic and social betterment of these village communities using their knowledge base.
- To engage the faculty and students of Higher Educational Institutions in understanding rural realities
- Identify and select existing innovative technologies, enable customization of technologies, or devise implementation methods for innovative solutions, as required by people
- To allow Higher Educational Institutions to contribute to devising systems for smooth implementation of various Government Programs.
Read more at :PIB
National Policy for Domestic Workers
The Salient features for proposed National Policy for Domestic Workers
- Inclusion of Domestic Workers in the existing legislations
- Registration of Domestic workers.
- Right to form their own associations, trade unions
- Right to have minimum wages, access to social security, protection from abuse, harassment, violence
- Right to enhance their professional skills
- Protection of Domestic Workers from abuse and exploitation
- Domestic Workers to have access to courts, tribunals, etc.
- Establishment of a mechanism for regulation of placement agencies.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Energy
National leader in renewable energy generation
Karnataka is the new national leader in renewable energy generation, US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) stated.
- It has overtaken Tamil Nadu that had long been India’s top renewables market
- Karnataka has a total of 12.3 gigawatts (GW) of renewable capacity installed till March, after having added five GW in 2017-18 alone
- Tamil Nadu still leads in wind energy capacity
- Karnataka introduced reverse auctions for wind-powered electricity
- Karnataka is set to move from being a net importer of electricity to having a net balance, and it could become a net exporter
Read more at: ET
Solar rooftop demand aggregation program
The Delhi government is planning to launch Solar Rooftop Demand Aggregation Program for domestic customers.
- The program aims to benefit consumers including residential, schools, hospitals, and municipal segments with an expected aggregate demand of 40 Megawatt
- Uses the Renewable Energy Service Company (RESCO) mode.
- The government’s support for developing payment security mechanism in facilitating easy loans from financiers and potential barriers limiting market transformation, generation based incentives, among others.
- Is an Energy service company which provides energy to the consumers from renewable energy sources, usually solar photovoltaics, wind power or micro hydro.
- RESCOs include investor owned, publicly owned, cooperatives, and community organisations.
Read more at: ET
Iran becomes India’s No. 2 oil supplier
Iran was the second-biggest oil supplier to Indian state refiners between April and June 2018.
- It replaced Saudi Arabia
- India is Iran’s top oil client after China
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
Digitalization in Education System
Several initiatives have been take to increase use of Digitalization in Education System.
The Initiatives are:
- Samagra Shiksha: which subsumes the three erstwhile Centrally Sponsored Schemes of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) , Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) and Teacher Education, from the year 2018-19.
- ICT in Education Curriculum for School System – ICT curriculum for teachers and students has been developed by NCERT
- e-pathshala – e-pathshala has been developed by NCERT (National Council for Educational Research and Training) for showcasing and disseminating all educational e-resources including textbooks, audio, video, periodicals and a variety of other print and non-print materials
- National Repository of Open Educational Resources (NROER) – an initiative to bring together all digital and digitisable resources across all stages of school education and teacher education
- SWAYAM: A Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) platform popularly known as SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active learning for Young Aspiring Minds) has been launched. The portal is offering various online courses for school education and higher education.
- SWAYAM PRABHA: A programme for utilization of satellite communication technologies for transmission of educational e-contents through 32 National Channels i.e. SWAYAM PRABHA DTH-TV has been launched.
- KVS initiatives:– ICT Skills are imparted in all the Kendriya Vidyalayas to the students of classes III to XII. 12011 e-Classrooms have been established in Kendriya Vidyalayas throughout the country for facilitating effective learning through digital mode
- Operation Digital Board:– An initiative has been taken by Government of India to provide interactive digital boards to nearly 15 lakh classrooms across the country for 9th standard to post graduate level, where they can receive lectures from best teachers/professors and access quality e-content, in order to enhance overall learning process and experience of the students.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Gharib Nawaz Skill Development Centre
- Ministry of Minority Affairs has inaugurated India’s first Gharib Nawaz skill development centre in Hyderabad.
- It is launched for providing short term job oriented skill development course for youths belonging to minority communities
- It offers certificate course in Goods and Services Tax accounting/programming and other related subjects.
Hamari Dharohar Scheme
- The scheme aimed preservation of rich heritage and culture of minority communities of India.
- Funding under the scheme is project based and not State/District-wise
- It aims to support curation of iconic exhibitions, calligraphy, research and development, etc.
- A project has been initiated to translate documents belonging to medieval period on the subjects of Medicines, Mathematics, and Literature from Arabic language to English.