Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Industrial development
BRICS Regional Aviation Partnership
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has today approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) amongst BRICS Nations on the Regional Aviation Partnership Cooperation viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
The BRICS countries would benefit from the establishing of an institutional framework to cooperate in the field of civil aviation
Areas of cooperation:
- Public Policies and best practices in regional services
- Regional Airports
- Airport infrastructure management and air navigation services
- Technical cooperation between regulatory agencies
- Environment Sustainability; including deliberation of global initiatives
- Qualification and Training
- Other fields as mutually determined
- The MoU signifies an important landmark in the civil aviation relations between India and other BRICS Member States
- The potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchanges amongst the BRICS Nations.
- BRICS is the acronym for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- Bilateral relations among BRICS nations have mainly been conducted on the basis of non-interference, equality, and mutual benefit
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Formaldehyde contamination of fish
The chemical formaldehyde in fish in several States highlight both the uncertainties of science, and the importance of clear risk-communication.
- Concerns over formaldehyde contamination of fish need to be addressed scientifically
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has banned formaldehyde in fresh fish
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer labelled the chemical a carcinogen in 2004
- Formaldehyde is an organic chemical that is very prevalent in our environment.
- It has colorless gas with a pungent odor from a family of gases called aldehydes.
- It is a sensitizing agent that can cause an immune system response upon initial exposure.
- It is also a suspected human carcinogen that is linked to nasal cancer and lung cancer.
- Formaldehyde exposure is most common through gas-phase inhalation.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 2 : Energy
Policy framework for Production Sharing Contracts
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister has approved the policy framework for streamlining the operations of Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs) for increased domestic production of hydrocarbon resources.
- Special dispensation for exploration & production(E&P) activities in North Eastern Region (NER)
- Sharing of Royalty and Cess in Pre-NELP( New Exploration Licensing Policy) Exploration Blocks
- Extending tax benefits to operational blocks under Pre-NELP discovered fields
- Relaxing the timeline from for giving written notice to notify the occurrence of an unforeseeable circumstances that prevent fulfilling of contract.
Production Sharing Contracts:
- Production Sharing Contract (PSC) refers to an agreement between Contractor and Government whereby Contractor bears all exploration risks, production and development costs in return for its stipulated share of (profit from) production resulting from this effort.
- The costs incurred by the contractor are recoverable in case of commercial discovery.
- Production Sharing Contracts became widely adopted as part of the New Exploration and Licensing Policy
New Exploration and Licensing Policy:
- New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP) is a policy adopted by Government of India in 1997
- NELP was applicable for all contracts entered into by the Government between 1997 and 2016.
- In March 2016, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP) replaced the NELP.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 3 : ICT
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to deploy a rover on the lunar surface through Chandrayaan-2 mission.
- It is India’s second mission to the Moon is a totally indigenous mission comprising of an Orbiter, Lander and Rover.
- The instruments on Rover will conduct in-situ analysis of elements such as Na, Mg, Al, Si, etc; in the vicinity of landing site.
- The mission will carry a six-wheeled Rover which will move around the landing site in semi-autonomous mode as decided by the ground commands.
- The instruments on the rover will observe the lunar surface and send back data, which will be useful for analysis of the lunar soil.
- The payloads will collect scientific information on lunar topography, mineralogy, elemental abundance, lunar exosphere and signatures of hydroxyl and water-ice.
- Mining and extracting Helium-3 deposits is not planned.
- It is planned during second half of 2018.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA)
- It seeks to transform Indian agriculture into a climate resilient production system through suitable adaptation and mitigation measures in domains of both crops and animal husbandry.
- Promotes location specific integrated/Composite Farming Systems
- Conserve natural resources through appropriate soil and moisture conservation measures
- Adopt comprehensive soil health management practices
- Optimize utilization of water resources through efficient water management to expand coverage for achieving more crop per drop
- Develop capacity of farmers & stakeholders
- The project is to tackle the increasing HIV prevalence in the North-Eastern states
- It aims to diagnose 90 per cent of such drug addicts with HIV and put them under treatment by 2020
- It will cover one lakh people living with HIV/AIDS by giving them treatment and care facilities free of cost
- It will be implemented in addition to the existing projects of the National AIDS Control Organization (NACO)
- The project has been sponsored by US based Centre for Disease Control and would be implemented by Family Health International 360