Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Economic development
Inflation at the wholesale level raised to 5.77% in June, the highest since December 2013.
- The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) accelerated in June from 4.43%
- The real upward push in wholesale inflation came from the crude petroleum and natural gas segment, which saw inflation surging to 48.7%
- Rising fuel prices
- The announcement of kharif minimum support price ( MSP)
Inflation is the rate at which the general level of prices for goods and services is rising and, consequently, the purchasing power of currency is falling.
Wholesale price Index:
The wholesale price index is an index that measures and tracks the changes in the price of goods in the stages before the retail level.
Read more at: The Hindu
Safeguard duty on solar cells
The Directorate General of Trade Restrictions (DGTR), the DGTR approved the safeguard duty on solar panels and modules.
- The safeguard duty on solar panels and modules imported from China and Malaysia should be imposed for two years
- To safeguard domestic manufacturers of solar cells
About Safeguard Duty:
It is an international law, is a restraint on international trade or economic development to protect communities from development aggression or home industries from foreign competition by the respective countries.
Read more at: ET
Topic 1:Industrial development
MAHAGENCO Pipe Conveyor System
The Union Minister of Railways, Finance, Corporate Affairs and Coal inaugurated the MAHAGENCO Pipe Conveyor System for coal transportation from cluster of mines of Western Coalfields Limited (WCL)
- The pipe conveyor system is a step in the direction of developing a modern, efficient and eco-friendly mode of coal transportation from mine
- It will be first of its kind in Coal India Limited (CIL)
- It will help in mitigating environmental impact of Road Transport by eliminating dispersed coal dust & vehicular emissions.
- It will help in avoiding coal pilferage and facilitate assured quality & quantity of supply of coal to power plants at lower transport costs.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Google and UN to track environmental changes
The UN has entered into a partnership with Google to monitor the impacts of human activity on global ecosystems by using sophisticated online tools.
- To develop a platform to enable governments, NGO’s and the public to track specific environment-related development targets with a user-friendly Google front-end
- To use most sophisticated online tools to track progress, identify priority areas for action, and bring one step closer to a sustainable world
- It has its initial focus on freshwater ecosystems including mountains, forests, wetlands, rivers, aquifers and lakes.
- Google will periodically produce geospatial maps and data on water-related ecosystems by employing massive parallel Cloud computing technology.
- Satellite imagery and statistics will be generated to assess the extent of change occurring to waterbodies, and made freely accessible to ensure nations have the opportunity to track changes, prevent and reverse ecosystem loss.
- To establish a platform for open-source data and analysis of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- To enable all countries with equal access to the latest technology and information in support of global climate action and sustainable development
Read more at: ET
Topic 3 : ICT
Upgraded Vikas engine
Indian Space Research Organisation has improved the thrust of the Vikas engine.
- The high-thrust engine qualified after a ground test lasting 195 seconds (over three minutes).
- The main beneficiary of the high-thrust Vikas engine the heavy-lifting GSLV-Mark III launcher which ISRO expects will now put 4,000-kg satellites to space
- It will improve the payload capability of PSLV, GSLV and GSLV Mk-III launch vehicles
- The Vikas engine is used in the second stage of the light lifting PSLV; the second stage and the four add-on stages of the medium-lift GSLV; and the twin-engine core liquid stage of Mk-III.
- ISRO will phase out Vikas by replacing it first in Mk-III with a cleaner and safer semi-cryogenic engine
About GSLV Mk-III:
- GSLV Mk III is a three-stage heavy lift launch vehicle developed by ISRO.
- The vehicle has two solid strap-ons, a core liquid booster and a cryogenic upper stage
- GSLV Mk III is designed to carry 4 ton class of satellites into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) or about 10 tons to Low Earth Orbit (LEO)
- The first developmental flight of GSLV Mk III, the GSLV-Mk III-D1 successfully placed GSAT-19 satellite to a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO)
Read more at: The Hindu
CIC bilingual Mobile app
The Central Information Commission (CIC) has launched a newly updated version of mobile app in Hindi also, – “CIC App’’
- Applicant can submit his/her 2nd Appeal(s)/ Complaint(s) / link paper(s) in both the languages i.e. in Hindi and English
- The appellant can search and trace dak, 2nd Appeal/Complaint in both the languages.
- Real time status is available in both the languages (Hindi & English)
- Appellant can download copy of Hearing notice, Facilitation memo & decision
- The Central Information Commission (CIC) set up under the Right to Information Act is the authorised body, established in 2005,under the Government of India
- To act upon complaints from those individuals who have not been able to submit information requests to a Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer due to either the officer not have been appointed, or because the respective Central Assistant Public Information Officer or State Assistant Public Information Officer refused to receive the application for information under the RTI Act
Read more at: PIB
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA)
- The mega project has three major objectives of Strategic research, Technology demonstrations and Capacity building.
- It was launched by Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR).
- Its aims to make farmers self-reliant by use of climate resilient agricultural technologies and management of natural and manmade resources for sustaining agriculture in the era of climate change.
- It has four components:
- Strategic research on adaptation and mitigation,
- Technology demonstration to cope with current climate variability in 100 vulnerable districts,
- Capacity Building
- Sponsored competitive research to fill critical gaps
- e-Rashtriya Kisan Agri Mandi (E-RaKAM) is a digital platform portal enables farmers to sell their agricultural products through auction.
- Various E-Rakam centers are being developed to facilitate farmers for online sale their products across the country.
- The farmers would get the payment for their products directly into their bank accounts without any intermediaries.
- CWRC, a subsidiary of the Central Warehousing Corporation Ltd, will provide logistics support for sellers and buyers in case they need it.