Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Social development
Sansad Adarsh GramYojana
Sansad Adarsh GramYojana (SAGY) was launched in October 2014.
- The aim to translate the comprehensive vision of Mahatma Gandhi of an ideal Indian village.
- Under the scheme, Member of Parliament adopted Gram Panchayats for its holistic progress.
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has encouraged institutes located in proximity of villages which can be supported under the scheme.
- AICTE has instituted the SAGY Award with an aim to motivate, recognize and honor the institutions under the theme “Developed Village-Developed Nation” to raise their performance in the specific domains leading to significant contribution for the growth and development of villages and Country as well.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Arunachal govt declares Pakke Hornbill Fest as ‘state festival’
The government of Arunachal Pradesh declared the Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF)–the state’s only conservation festival, as a “state festival”.
- To recognise the role played by the resident Nyishi tribe in conserving hornbills in the Pakke Tiger Reserve (PTR).
- To devise alternative sources of income for a region that relies on hunting and logging.
- To tell the rest of the country about the wonders of the PTR and its surrounding areas.
- The festival had helped in creating awareness on nature conservation.
Read more at: DowntoEarth
Conference of the Parties (COP24) -Katowice, Poland.
COP24 is the informal name for the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- The UNFCCC is a “Rio Convention”, one of three adopted at the “Rio Earth Summit” in 1992.
- The countries that have ratified the Convention are called Parties to the Convention.
- Preventing “dangerous” human interference with the climate system is the ultimate aim of the UNFCCC.
- The Conference of the Parties (COP) is the supreme body of the UNFCCC Convention.
- It consists of the representatives of the Parties to the Convention.
- It holds its sessions every year.
- The COP takes decisions which are necessary to ensure the effective implementation of the provisions of the Convention and regularly reviews the implementation of these provisions.
- COP24 conference took place from 2-15 December 2018 in Katowice, Poland.
The key INITIATIVES of COP24:
- The Driving Change Together Partnership for Electromobility and Zero Emission Transport
- It is dedicated to technological and organisational change towards zero emission transport.
- Maintaining the current rate of development, including the development of urban agglomerations and megacities, while keeping the current model of transport and the dominant types of propulsion and energy sources, is incompatible with the promotion of a sustainable transport model and
- The reduction of dependence on fossil fuels.
- Declaration on fair transformation under the motto:
- Solidarity and Just Transition Silesia Declaration is dedicated to ensuring a fair and solidarity-based transformation that will help to protect the climate while maintaining economic development and jobs.
- Development should be economically, socially, environmentally and climatically responsible.
- Emphasis on modernisation, technological change and the implementation of innovations enabling a more efficient and environmentally friendly use of resources.
- The Silesian Ministerial Declaration “Forests for Climate”
- On the conservation and increase of carbon stocks in greenhouse gas sinks and reservoirs until 2050 indicates the key role of sinks and will help to achieve the objective set out by the Paris Agreement
Three key topics of COP24:
- Technology – to show that there are climate-friendly modern solutions, such as electromobility allowing for sustainable urban development, clean air and an opportunity for modern jobs.
- Human – emphasizing the need to lead change together with people through the solidarity and fair transformation of regions and industrial sectors.
- Nature – including multifunctional and sustainable forest management as part of climate neutrality and the role of forests as greenhouse gas sinks, and support for a synergic view of the three UN key conventions: on climate, on biodiversity and on desertification.
Read more at: COP24
The Manipur government’s plan to set up a bird sanctuary at the Loktak lake in Bishnupur district.
- It is the largest freshwater lake in north-eastern India.
- It is also called the only Floating lake in the world due to the floating phumdis
- Thousands of migratory birds flock to the Loktak lake every year.
- The Keibul Lamjao National Park, which is the last natural refuge of the endangered sangai or Manipur brow-antlered deer is situated in the southeastern shores of this lake
- Human intrusion
- Bird poaching
- Hydroelectric power project near the lake
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
New web-based platform to help with micro irrigation
Researchers have come up with a web-based application that helps design customised micro-irrigation systems for individual agricultural fields.
- DOMIS (short form for Design of Micro-irrigation System), it is a web-based application and helps design customised micro-irrigation systems for individual agricultural fields under different agro-climatic conditions and circumstances for any crop.
- It has an interactive graphical interface, works through three major steps.
- It first partitions the entire field into blocks of specific dimensions.
- It then determines the most appropriate layout plan for the pipes.
- Finally, it estimates the water requirements of the field and crops, based on local agro-climatic and conditions.
- It does its calculations based on a variety of factors including agro-climatic data of the region, type and density of crops and soil type, besides the field size.
- The design offers solutions with regards to several aspects including size of the pipes as well as type and number of sprinklers that are needed.
- It can also come out with an estimate of the largest fraction of the field which can be irrigated in one go.
- It can give an estimate of expenditure which a farmer or grower would need to install this whole system in his field.
- It is designed to provide information about various government schemes in agricultural sector, agencies promoting and implementing micro-irrigation in different states of India.
- Its database has information with regards to aspects like agro-climatic conditions, major crops grown, crop characteristics, ground water availability, soil types for about 642 districts of 29 states and 7 union territories of the country.
Read more at: DownToEarth
Topic 4: General Knowledge
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas 2019
15th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas inaugurated in Varanasi.
- Established in 2000, it is sponsored by the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the Confederation of Indian Industries and the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
- IT is a forum for issues concerning the Indian Diaspora is organised and the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards are given.
Read more at: FinancialExpress