January 22, 2019January 22, 2019
January 23,2019January 23, 2019
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- General Knowledge
- Key initiatives of Government
Topic 2 : Environment
Alliance to End Plastic Waste(AEPW)
An alliance of global companies launched a new organisation on January 16, 2019, to help eliminate plastic waste, especially in the ocean.
- The Alliance to End Plastic Waste (AEPW), comprising about 30 companies, pledged over $1 billion to eliminate plastic waste across the world.
- It is designed as a non profit organization, the Alliance includes companies from across North and South America, Europe, Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa as well as the Middle East are part of the Alliance.
- They aim to invest $1.5 billion over the next five years for the same.
- The aim is to develop solutions to mitigate plastic pollution and promote a circular economy by utilizing used plastics.
- Member companies include those that make, use, sell, process, collect and recycle plastics, as well as chemical and plastic manufacturers, consumer goods companies, retailers, converters, and waste management companies, also called the plastics value chain. From India, Reliance Industries will advance efforts towards a sustainable future.
Read more at: DowntoEarth
Topic 2 : Energy
Saksham an annual high intensity one-month long people-centric mega campaign of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas was launched.
- It actively involves the Oil & Gas PSUs along with other stakeholders like State Governments.
- To create focused attention on fuel conservation through people centric activities and
- To sensitize the masses about the conservation and efficient use of petroleum products leading to better health and environment.
- It is a registered society set up in 1978 under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India.
- It is a national government agency engaged in promoting energy efficiency in various sectors of economy.
- It aims at making oil conservation a national movement
- It sponsors R&D activities for the development of fuel-efficient equipment / devices and organizes multi-media campaigns for creating mass awareness for the conservation of petroleum products.
- It functions as a Think Tank to the Govt. of India for proposing policies and strategies on petroleum conservation and environment protection aimed at reducing excessive dependence on oil.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 5: Key-initiatives-of-government
- Study Webs of Active Learning For Young Aspiring Minds is an indigenous IT platform for hosting the Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
- Designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy viz., access, equity and quality.
- It targets those students who could not complete their studies and professionals who wish to upgrade their knowledge.
- Professors of centrally funded institutions like IITs, IIMs, central universities will offer online courses to citizens of India through this platform.
- Covering school (9th to 12th) to Post Graduate Level.
- All the courses are interactive, prepared by the best teachers in the country and are available, free of cost to the residents in India.
- However, it would not run courses such as engineering, medicine, dental, pharmacy, nursing, architecture, and physiotherapy.
- It is intended to host about 2000 courses and 80000 hours of learning material, within two years.
Swayam For Teachers
- For online professional development of higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- Under this initiative, all in-service teachers, irrespective of their subject and seniority will have an enabling opportunity.
- The National Resource Centres (NRC) will develop the Refresher Module which will include the latest trends in their earmarked discipline by 15th June each year.
- SWAYAM Prabha is an initiative to provide 32 High Quality Educational Channels through DTH (Direct to Home) on 24X7 basis.
- It has curriculum based course content covering diverse disciplines.