January 17, 2019January 17, 2019
January 19, 2019January 19, 2019
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
1. National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
2. Energy and Environment
3. Information and Communication Technology
4. General Knowledge
Topic 2 : Environment
Fire Alert System (FAST) Version 3.0
The Forest Survey of India (FSI), a body under the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC), which is responsible for assessment and monitoring of India’s forest resources, launched the beta-version of the Large Forest Fire Monitoring Programme.
- The programme is part of the Fire Alert System (FAST) Version 3.0, where the FSI will monitor forest fire events using real time data from the SNPP-VIIRS satellite.
- FSI will track large fire events across the country and disseminate specific Large Fire alerts with the objective to identify, track and report serious forest fire incidents so as to help monitor such fires at senior level in the state forest department and also seek timely additional assistance that may be required to contain such fires.
- Large Fire tracking aims to improve tactical as well as strategic response to large forest fires
- The FAST 3.0 is a collaborative effort between the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and FSI.
- The team that built the system has members from the forest department, software and geographic information system (GIS) experts.
- A report titled “Strengthening Forest Fire Management in India”, jointly released by the MoEF&CC and the World Bank.
Significance of the tool
- The tool will help in forest fire management at the policy level
- It will help understand the fire patterns of an area by giving data on how many big fires broke out, how long did they last etc.
- It will help in creating crisis plans and working plans for districts.
- It’ll also help in disaster escalation
Read more at: DowntoEarth
Topic 3 : ICT
UNNATI- (Unispace Nanosatellite Assembly & Training) programme organized by ISRO in Bengaluru.
- A capacity building programme on Nanosatellite development
- An initiative by ISRO to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first United Nations conference on the exploration and peaceful uses of outer space (UNISPACE-50).
- The programme provides opportunities to the participating developing countries to strengthen in assembling, integrating and testing of Nanosatellite.
Read more at: PIB
Malware on cloud security products
A team of researchers have identified a new kind of malware that can remove cloud security products.
- A hacking group known as “Rocke,” can remove security products from compromised Linux cloud servers.
- The malware can affect both private and public groups move toward using the cloud for online data storage purposes.
- The malware would gain full control of the products, and then use the product’s main administrative control to uninstall them from the servers.
- The code followed instructions on how to disable the protections that were publicly available online.
Effects of Malware:
- Personal data may be compromised
- It may affect the sensitive information of business undertakings
- National Security issue
- May leads to cyber crimes
Read more at: The hill