January 6,2018January 6, 2019
January 8,2019January 8, 2019
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- General Knowledge
Topic 2 : Environment
International Whaling Commission
Japan announced to quit from the International Whaling Commission and resume commercial whaling.
- The withdrawal comes into effect by June 30,2019.
- The International Whaling Commission is an Inter-governmental Organization whose purpose is the conservation of whales and the management of whaling.
- The legal framework of the IWC is the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling.
- The IWC allows non-zero whaling quotas for aboriginal subsistence and also member nations may issue ‘Scientific Permits’ to their citizens.
- All member countries of the IWC are signatories to this Convention, the IWC has a current membership of 89 Governments from countries all over the world.
- India joined as a member of International Whaling Commission in 1981.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
ISRO to set up network of telecom satellites
The telecom department is in discussion with the space department to set up a network of satellite for communication services across the country.
- The proposed satellite will be owned by DoT and bandwidth rates are expected to come down.
- Operators can also use these for in-flight and maritime mobile services. Initial focus is to bring 100% coverage in rural area,
- To set-up network of low earth orbit (LEO) satellite and medium earth orbit (MEO) satellite for telecom services.
- The communications satellites selectively provide connectivity to different institutions and business organisations.
- Their services are also used for satellite phone connectivity, mobile services in islands and hilly areas, and vsat services, among others.
- Low earth orbit satellites will be placed in orbit at distance of around 2,000 kilometers. This will reduce latency in signals
- The capacity on satellites can be used by telecom operators for various kind of services specially in remote areas and places where it is difficult to build network.
Read more at: Livemint
PhotoDNA is a technology developed and owned by Microsoft, to be used exclusively to identify child exploitation images.
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sent an official request to social media platforms to use Microsoft’s PhotoDNA for purposes of investigation in regular criminal cases.
- It is mainly used to prevent child pornography from being uploaded on the web and is free to use.
- The company has restricted the use of this software beyond this purpose in all countries.
- The software creates a unique digital signature of any image and then compares it to other photos to find a similar one.
- It is used by Google, Twitter, Facebook and Adobe Systems.
- The initiative assists in narrowing the focus of child pornography law enforcement investigations through the use of this technology.
Read more at: Businesstoday
China has launched its first communication satellite to provide broadband internet services worldwide.
- The project aims to build a space-based communications network to provide broadband internet connectivity to users around the world, especially those in the underserved regions
- The satellite is the first in the Hongyun project planned by China Aerospace Science and Industry Corp (CASIC).
- Hongyun will cover the whole world and offer round-the-clock communication services to users in Polar Regions, who now have difficulties accessing telecommunication and internet services, even from on board an aircraft or a ship or in a remote area.
Read more at: The Hindu