Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 1:Economic development
Global Macro Outlook
The Indian economy is expected to grow by about 7.5% in 2018 and 2019 as it is largely resilient to external pressures like those from higher oil prices according to Moody’s Global Macro Outlook for 2018-19.
- G-20 growth at 3.3% in 2018 and 3.1% in 2019
- The advanced economies will grow 2.3% in 2018 and 2% in 2019
- Indian economy to grow around 7.5% in 2018 and 2019
The G20 (or Group of Twenty) is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union.
Read more at: The Hindu
SEBI to review MF expense ratio limits
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) might soon review the expense ratio limits for mutual funds to address the concerns related to concentration of profits among a few large fund houses.
- To encourage healthy competition within the industry.
- The revenue of the seven large fund houses is more than 60% of the total industry revenue, while the profit margin of large mutual funds was in the range of 40-50%
- Expense ratio, which broadly ranges between 0.75% to 2.5%, is the fee that fund houses charge investors to manage all the expenses of the fund house.
About Mutual Funds:
- A mutual fund is a professionally managed investment fund that pools money from many investors to purchase securities
- The primary advantages of mutual funds are that they provide economies of scale, a higher level of diversification, they provide liquidity, and they are managed by professional investors
- The negative advantages are investors in a mutual fund must pay various fees and expenses.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1:Industrial development
Odisha aims to be hub of east with port-led manufacturing
Odisha aims to leverage its ports as part of a push to develop the State as a manufacturing hub in eastern India that could serve the larger South Asian regional market.
- To drive port-led manufacturing,anchored by the three deep-water ports in the state along the east coast economic corridor
- Ensuring state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Progressive policies to provide a conducive environment for industrial development
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 2 : Energy
India’s first biofuel plane
India’s first biofuel plane could fly from Dehradun to Delhi by Spicejet Operator.
- Biofuels are being produced from renewable resource
- Environmental friendly
- Minimise dependency on Non renewable resource
- Domestic production leads to minimisation of oil imports
Read more at:ET
Topic 3 : ICT
CERT-In report cyber attacks
The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has prepared a report on cyber attacks in the country.
- The cyber attacks from China made up 35% of the total number of cyber attacks on official Indian websites, followed by US (17%), Russia (15%), Pakistan (9%), Canada (7%) and Germany (5%).
- The possibility of “malicious actors from Pakistan using German and Canadian cyberspace for intruding into Indian cyberspace and carrying out malicious activities”.
- They are targeting by sending spear phishing emails with malware attachments
- Phishing attacks are usually in the form of an email from a trusted source where they ask for personal details such as bank details personal details, passwords.
- The institutions include Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), National Informatics Centre (NIC), Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), Railways, Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) and some banks like Punjab National Bank among others are affected.
- CERT-In (the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team) is a government-mandated information technology (IT) security organization.
- CERT-In is the nodal agency which deals with cyber security threats like hacking and phishing.
- It collects, analyses and disseminates information on “cyber incidents”, and also issues alerts on “cyber security incidents
- The purpose of CERT-In is to respond to computer security incidents, report on vulnerabilities and promote effective IT security practices throughout the country
Read more at: Indian Express
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
- The objective of the scheme is to provide a set of financial incentives for families to encourage them to retain a girl child, educate her and prevent child marriage.
- The scheme provides for cash transfers to the family of the girl child on fulfilling certain specific conditions like immunization, enrolment and retention in school, insurance cover etc.
- SHe-box (Sexual Harassment electronic box) is an online platform launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- The platform is to enable women employees to file complaints related to sexual harassment at the workplace
- It enables both public and private sector employees to lodge their complaints.
- It ensures the effective implementation of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace Act, 2013.
- Electronic-Human Resource Management System (e-HRMS) is an online platform for central government employees to apply for leave and access their service-related information.
- It will also help the employees to apply for different kind of claims/reimbursements, loan/advances etc on a single platform
- The e-service book which is already in service for DoPT employees for accessing the service-related details of an employee will also be integrated in to the e-HRMS.