Quiz – August ,21 2018August 23, 2018
Quiz – August 22,2018August 24, 2018
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
Video Lectures and Test Series for ESE 2019
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
- The Key Initiatives of Government
- General Knowledge
Topic 2 : Environment
NGT asks for action plan on e-waste
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) to submit an action plan on e-waste management within three months.
- The electronic waste accounted for 40% of lead and 70% of all heavy metal found in landfills.
- The burning and selling of e-waste and other solid waste resulted in groundwater contamination and air pollution.
- Electronic waste or e-waste describes discarded electrical or electronic devices.
- Used electronics which are destined for reuse, resale, salvage, recycling, or disposal are also considered e-waste.
National Green Tribunal:
- The NGT was established on October 18, 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010
- It aims to to provide;
- A specialized forum for effective and speedy disposal of cases pertaining to environment protection
- Conservation of forests
- Seeking compensation for damages caused to people or property due to violation of environmental laws or conditions specified while granting permissions.
- The NGT is not bound by the procedure laid down under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, but shall be guided by principles of natural justice
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
Applications to Facilitate Litigants and Lawyers
The Chief Justice of India launched various applications for the benefit of the litigants and lawyers.
- Three applications of e-filing, e-pay, and NSTEP (National Service and Tracking of Electronic Processes) created under the eCourts project were launched
- To increase awareness about eCourt initiatives and user manuals on the applications
- Create awareness on services provided under eCourts Project
- To publicize work done under eCourts Project
- To enable litigants, lawyers and other stakeholders to avail these services.
The eFiling application:
- It will facilitate efficient administration of Judicial System, as it will ease pressure on filing counters and will speed up workflow processing.
The ePay application:
- It is a unified portal wherein facility to pay online court fees is provided.
National Service and Tracking of Electronic Processes:
- It is a transparent and secure system for transmission of process from one location to another
- It shall address delays in process serving particularly for processes beyond jurisdiction.
Read more at: PIB
ESA satellite to improve weather forecast launched
The European Space Agency (ESA) has successfully launched a satellite that will measure winds around the globe and help improve weather forecasting.
- The Earth Explorer Aeolus satellite was launched into polar orbit on a Vega rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana
- Using revolutionary laser technology, Aeolus will play a key role in our quest to better understand the workings of our atmosphere
- The mission is the fifth in the family of ESA’s Earth Explorers, which address the most urgent Earth-science questions of our time.
- Aeolus will give scientists the information they need to understand how wind, pressure, temperature and humidity are interlinked.
- The new mission will provide insight into how the wind influences the exchange of heat and moisture between Earth’s surface and the atmosphere — important aspects for understanding climate change.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 4: The Key Initiatives of Government
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme (BBBPS)
- The scheme is launched to address the issue of decline in CSR in 100 gender critical districts and to provide convergent efforts to ensure survival, protection and education of the girl child
- The objectives of the Scheme are :
- Prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
- Ensure survival & protection of the girl child
- Ensure education of the girl child
- The initiative has two major components such as mass communication campaign and multi-sectoral action covering all States and UTs.
- It is being implemented in a coordinated effort by Ministry of WCD, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of HRD
- The Union Cabinet has recently given its approval for expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao for a Pan India reach covering all the 640 districts of the country as per census 2011.
- CSR – Number of girls per 1000 boys in the age group of 0-6 years. It declined sharply from 976 in 1961 to 918 in Census 2011
- It is an initiative for meeting aspirations and needs of women.
- It is a bilingual portal provides unique direct online marketing platform leveraging technology for supporting women entrepreneurs/SHGs/ NGOs for showcasing their products / services.
Topic 5: General Knowledge
Chandrayaan-1 data confirms presence of ice on Moon
Scientists have found frozen water deposits in the darkest and coldest parts of the Moon’s polar regions using data from the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft that was launched by India 10 years ago, NASA reported.
- water would possibly be accessible as a resource for future expeditions to explore and stay on the Moon,
- It provides potentially easier to access than the water detected beneath the Moon’s surface.
- The ice deposits are patchily distributed and could possibly be ancient
- At the southern pole, most of the ice is concentrated at lunar craters, while the northern pole’s ice is more widely, but sparsely spread.
- Launched in 2008 by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- It was uniquely equipped to confirm the presence of solid ice on the Moon.
Read more at: The Hindu