Quiz – May 06, 2018May 7, 2018
Quiz – May 07, 2018May 8, 2018
Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
Topic 1:Economic development
Rupee hits 15-month low
The rupee breached the psychological barrier of Rs. 67 against the dollar amid strong demand for the U.S. currency from importers, as crude oil rose to $75 a barrel.
- The rupee has been the worst Asian currency performer this year so far against the dollar, losing 5.1% since January.
- Oil jumped to its highest levels since late-2014 on Monday to cross the significant $75 a barrel tag, boosted by Venezuela’s deepening economic crisis and a looming decision on whether the United States would reimpose sanctions on Iran.
- The yield on the 10-year benchmark government bond eased almost 11 basis points to close at 7.62%, after the Reserve Bank of India announced open market operations for next week.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1:Social development
First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities
Minister of State (I/C) for Housing & Urban Affairs will inaugurate the ‘First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities ‘in Bhopal.
- Key projects under Smart Cities such as digitally integrated smart city centers, street redesign, installation of solar rooftop on buildings, etc., have thus initiated the process of urban transformation, enhancing the liveability of cities.
- In driving the implementation of smart city projects, the Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of the Smart City Special Purpose Vehicle (SPVs) have been instrumental in achieving transformational outcomes envisaged under the Mission.
- Apart from the Smart City CEOs, the participants include representatives from municipal, State and Central Government and various other stakeholders in the Smart City Mission from the civil society, academia, industry etc
Smart cities Mission:
- Smart Cities Mission, sometimes referred to as Smart City Mission, is an urban renewal and retrofitting program by the Government of India with the mission to develop 100 cities across the country making them citizen friendly and sustainable.
- The Union Ministry of Urban Development is responsible for implementing the mission in collaboration with the state governments of the respective cities.
- Each city will create a corporate company, headed by a full-time CEO, to implement the Smart Cities Mission.
Read more at: PIB
Loan Deal with World Bank for National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan)
The Government of India signed a loan deal worth $ 200 million with the World Bank for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan)
- The loan approved today will support the first phase scale up to 315 districts across all states and union territories (UTs)
- A large component of POSHAN Abhiyaan involves gradual scaling-up of the interventions supported by the ongoing World Bank assisted Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Systems Strengthening and Nutrition Improvement Project (ISSNIP) to all districts in the country over a 3-year period
- The project will additionally ensure convergence of all nutrition related schemes and provide performance based incentives to states and community nutrition and health workers, facilitating a focus on results.
About POSHAN Abhiyaan:
- POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission) is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD), Government of India, which ensures convergence with various programmes
- The goals of NNM are to achieve improvement in nutritional status of Children from 0-6 years, Adolescent Girls, Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers in a time bound manner during the next three years beginning 2017-18.
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Energy
India scraps plan to privatise oilfields
The government has shelved the plan to privatise several key ageing fields of ONGC and Oil India following strong opposition from the state-run companies and consultations between the oil ministry and the Prime Minister’s Office.
- The oil ministry drew up a detailed plan last year to sell up to 60% participating interest in 11 ageing fields of ONGC and four of Oil India to private companies under the so called Production Enhancement Contract (PEC) aimed at raising output.
- The plan also included another 44 older fields of ONGC and Oil India that could take on private technological partners under a process managed by the government.
Read more at: ET
Topic 3 : ICT
NITI Aayog and Google sign SoI to help grow AI ecosystem
NITI Aayog and Google have come together to work on a range of initiatives to help build the AI ecosystem across the country to foster growth for India’s nascent artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) ecosystem.
- A Statement of Intent (SoI) was signed to this effect by NITI Aayog and Google
- The NITI Aayog has been entrusted to setup a national programme to conduct research and development in frontier technologies such as AI.
- In furtherance of this mandate, NITI Aayog has been developing India’s national strategy on AI along with the National Data and Analytics Portal to enable the wide deployment and use of AI.
- Google will train and incubate Indian AI startups in an accelerator program.
- These startups will be mentored and coached by Google and its affiliates to enable them to better leverage AI in their respective business models.
- To help bolster the research ecosystem, one of the initiatives includes funding Indian researchers, scholars and university faculty for conducting AI-based research.
- Google will also bring its online training courses on AI to students, graduates and engineers to numerous cities across India, in the form of study groups and developer-run courses.
- NITI Aayog and Google will organize a AI/ML hackathon that will be focused on solving key challenges within agriculture, education, healthcare, financial inclusion, transportation/mobility and more.
- This hackathon may use Kaggle, a global platform, to help facilitate international participation into these planned hackathon challenges.
- Google through the NITI Aayog, will conduct hands-on training programs that aim to sensitise policymakers and technical experts in governments about relevant AI tools, and how they can be used to streamline governance.
Read more at: PIB