Current Affairs for Engineering Service Exam
- National and International Issues on
- Economic Development
- Social Development
- Industrial Development
- Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication Technology
Topic 1:Economic development
Simplifying return filing
The main item on the agenda for the GST Council meeting is likely to be the simplification of the return filing system into a single form and a decision on whether businesses can avail of provision credit or not, according to tax analysts.
- According to the GST law, the return filing process involves three forms two of which have been kept in abeyance to ease the compliance process for businesses. The GST Council is to decide on how best to reduce these into a single form.
- There are two models of return filing under consideration, with the key difference between the two being whether businesses can avail of provisional credit when the supplier has not yet filed returns, or if they can only avail of the credit based on the returns filed.
- Three-stage process is going to be brought down to a one-stage process.
- The council may discuss the revival of the reverse charge mechanism, applicable for registered dealers doing businesses with unregistered dealers.
- The Council may also discuss about the delay among certain States in rolling out the e-waybill system for intra-state movement of goods
- Goods & Services Tax Council is a constitutional body for making recommendations to the Union and State Government on issues related to Goods and Service Tax.
- The GST Council is chaired by the Union Finance Minister and other members are the Union State Minister of Revenue or Finance and Ministers in-charge of Finance or Taxation of all the States.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 1:Social development
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
The Ministry of Women and Child Development will hold National Conference of 244 Districts under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) in New Delhi.
- The Conference will provide an opportunity for experience sharing and will motivate the new districts to plan and execute the programme successfully.
- The participants in the Conference will include Principal Secretaries, Departments of WCD/Social Welfare, Education and Health from various states/UTs, and Deputy Commissioners/Collectors and District Magistrates from 244 districts.
- In an interactive session, the District Collectors of select BBBP districts from different parts of the country would share the innovative interventions undertaken in the past three years
- Representative civil society partners would also participate in the Conference.
- All India expansion of BBBP scheme in 640 districts across the country (as per Census 2011) on 8th March, 2018
- The new 244 Districts from across the country will be covered under Multi-Sectoral Intervention.
- This is in addition to the already covered 161 Districts. Remaining 235 Districts will be covered through Media campaign and advocacy outreach.
- The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme has been introduced in October, 2014 to address the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
- The Scheme was launched on 22nd January, 2015 at Panipat in Haryana.
- It is a tri-ministerial effort of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development.
- The main Objectives are
- Prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
- Ensure survival & protection of the girl child
- Ensure education of the girl child
Read more at: PIB
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK)
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the proposal for renaming and restructuring of Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK).CCEA has also approved its continuation during the remaining period of the 14th Finance Commission.
Multi-sectoral Development Programme:
- Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) was launched in the year 2008-09 in 90 identified Minority Concentration Districts (MCDs) having at least 25% minority population and below national average with respect to one or both of the backwardness parameters with the objective of developing assets for socio-economic and basic amenities.
- The Programme aims to address development deficits in the identified minority concentration areas.
- The identification of minority concentration areas has been done on the basis of presence of substantial population of notified Minority Communities based on Census, 2011.
- The restructured programme would provide better socio economic infrastructure facilities to the minority communities which would further lead to lessening of the gap between the national average and the minority communities with regard to backwardness parameters.
- It will be implemented in Minority Concentration District Hqrs, Minority Concentration Block(MCBs), Minority Concentration Towns(MCTs) falling in 308 districts of 32 States/UTs.
- The scheme will also be implemented in Backward Clusters of Minority Concentration Villages(CoMCV).
Read more at: PIB
Topic 2 : Environment
Pollution alert in Delhi and neighbouring areas
Delhi and neighbouring areas face prospects of pollution from crop burning now that harvesting is reaching its peak
- Wheat stubble burning is set to rise in Haryana and Punjab, where rain had brought relief in the recent days.
- Burning of paddy in kharif poses graver concern in winters due to concentration of toxic residue, the pollution is well distributed in summers due to higher temperature.
- The impact of stubble burning is less in wheat season as much of the stubble is used as fodder and also mixed with soil while paddy stubble is high silica content.
- It not just lead to poor quality of ambient air but affects soil quality
Read more at: ET
Topic 3 : ICT
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), which is providing a host of e-services for its stakeholders introduces ‘View Pension Passbook’ Service for the pensioners through Umang App.
- On clicking ‘View Passbook’ option, it requires PPO Number and Date of Birth information to be entered by the pensioner.
- After successful validation of the information fed, an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number of the pensioner.
- On entering OTP, ‘Pensioner Passbook’ will display the details of the pensioner like Name, DOB along with last pension credited information.
- The facility to download the financial year wise complete pass book details is also available.
- Other e-services of EPFO already available through UMANG aap includes Employee Centric services,Employer Centric Services,General Services and others
Read more at: PIB